Nuns

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Anonymous User
Thursday 18 August 2005 1.25pm
Don't ask why but this is bothering me.

How much does a nun earn & where does the money come from?

Thursday 18 August 2005 2.14pm
My great aunt was a nun.

But there are lots of different kinds. In Ireland (where I'm from) lots are teachers / nurses (I've never seen a nun that was a doctor though) and presumably get a normal teacher's / nurse's salary which presumably is shared with the community as some won't have a salary? Some become missionaries and they are supported by old women like my granny who practically keep entire convents going with the donations they send over. The ones that confuse me are closed orders - there's a Poor Clare's convent in my home town that the women don't physically ever leave once they join - they may do some work on the inside but presumably a lot of their costs are met by endowments (historical and what they bring with them on joining and what people leave to them in their wills)?

It must help that some of them will have vows of poverty!

You might remember a movie from a few years ago about Magdalene Laundries which some orders of nuns used to run with, basically, slave labour. There must have been a bit of money in them.
Thursday 18 August 2005 2.29pm
Don't they not get paid, the same as (Catholic) priests?

Mind you that begs the question as to how C of E nuns get paid (or whether there are C of E nuns.

I will ask Mrs I (vicar's daughter) and Sister in Law I (practically cannonised - only joking if you read this and work out who I am ;0))

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 18 August 2005 2.35pm
Birdie, when do you start?
Anonymous User
Thursday 18 August 2005 2.54pm
Someone had to ask Julie!

I rather think my not being religious, let alone catholic may hinder my entrance to this career.

That said, who doesn't lie on their CV these days?

Thursday 18 August 2005 3.12pm
Have you found a convent where they make strong drink?

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Thursday 18 August 2005 3.25pm
I've just read those Q & As. Sounds like rubbish to me. Chastity, poverty and obedience... They don't even have presents at Christmas. You think being nuns they'd know the true meaning of christmas was presents!

Thursday 18 August 2005 3.59pm
I read this book years ago and remember it being fascinating - the nuns were as diverse as you could imagine (within the obvious constraints) ... age range, enclosed or with careers etc...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0099326515/qid=1124380357/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_11_4/026-2289897-0544454

And then there's this film which might also throw some light on the subject

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001WHYEC/qid=1124380607/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/026-2289897-0544454

(OK TVFIC!)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: