Jean Charles de Menezes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 21 August 2005 12.17pm
What are people's thoughts on his death and the consequent media handling of it?

I'm starting to get pee-d off that his death seems to have taken on more importance than the death of over 50 two weeks earlier. The police chain of command (or what existed of it on that operation) made a series of terrible mistakes; however the Met acted in good faith in what they did, in what were the highly charged hours following four attempted bombings 24 hours earlier. What saddens me is that papers including the Standard now have more columnists and column inches slating the police (who do their best under difficult circumstances) than on the situation that led to Islamist terrorists whose policy of slaughter which begat the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes.
Sunday 21 August 2005 6.55pm
According to a newspaper report there are 100's of people shot dead every year by Brazilian police
with no justice for the families concerned. I imagine the Menezes family while deserving an
explanation and compensation for their loss have now become pawns for the lawyers.
Mind you, remember that bloke some time ago who was shot dead while carrying a table leg. You
wonder why the police 'expert marksmen' were unable to shoot him in the leg instead of killing him.
Every time a british person falls foul of a foreign legal system, there's the usual cry that the only
legal system worth it's salt is the british one and all other legal systems are corrupt and primitive.
Monday 22 August 2005 8.22am
I am afraid the unfortunate death of de Menezes has to be seen as yet another casualty in the wake of the events of 7 July. Apologies are appropriate and after that :basta!
Anonymous User
Tuesday 23 August 2005 8.58am
948 people shot by the police in Rio alone last year and that was considered an improvement.

14 people shot by UK police in the last 10 years.

This was what I heard on the radio this morning which gives a little perspective to the Brazilian governments indignation I think.

Tuesday 23 August 2005 9.48am
The terroists got what they want: we're focussing on spitroasting the police and nobody talks about the actual attacks. Surely the police should be accountable for their actions, but I feel this is getting out of proportion and is detrimental to our security situation.
Tuesday 23 August 2005 12.10pm
There were at least 12 TV crews outside Southwark Coroners Court in Tennis St this morning.
I wonder if it was for the Menenzes affair. If so I imagine it just opened and adjourned in 10 mins.
Tuesday 23 August 2005 1.35pm
I was just talking to a friend about this and saying exactly the same thing.
The police undoubtedly made a catalogue of errors which unfortunately led to the death of an innocent man, however, they did not set out with the murder of innocents on their minds that day.
Tuesday 23 August 2005 5.32pm
I was listening to the Brazilian delegation being interviewed this afternoon and the first question
asked by a journalist was "Why is Brazil making such a major fuss about this particular death when
the Brazilian police have a dismal record when it comes to shooting dead it's own citizens".

The reply was along the lines "We are not here to discuss the record of Brazilian police. If you want
to ask questions on that subject please come to Brazil and put them".
Friday 26 August 2005 2.44am
I think it IS relevant. We know the terrorists are animals. The questions is: what is the point of us becoming animals like them and killing indicriminately? Its pretty clear in this case that the guy was butchered for no good reason.

The only reason this is taking attention is because the police are apparently unwiling to stand up and admit their incompetence. So it becomes a farce and sucks up media attention. Blame the POLICE for that, not the family of a guy who was killed by them. These people seem to simply want honest answers, open review and admission of the truth.

And apparently that is hard to find here in a coutnry where we claim to be the guardians of freedom and truth.

That's really what is going on. The security sitation is what it is. If this case makes the police take care to identify "suspects" properly instead of shooting anyone with the misfortune to live in a building that a terrorist suspect may have once been it - I think that's a good thing. For all you know it could be your building under surveilance and you in the paper tomorrow.

maurits Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The terroists got what they want: we're focussing
> on spitroasting the police and nobody talks about
> the actual attacks. Surely the police should be
> accountable for their actions, but I feel this is
> getting out of proportion and is detrimental to
> our security situation.

Friday 26 August 2005 10.26am
I trust that someone somewhere will get clobbered for this atrocious error...which has been compounded it seems by a whole lot of lies upon lies. Frankly, the officer concerned should be hauled up and diciplined and sacked. Compensation should be paid to the victim's family, and then we should have an end to the endless publicity. My sympathy is slightly watered down because the guy was here illegally, his visa was out of date by about two years, and until I'm QUITE sure he was not given any warning, I withhold judgement. Why on earth the police had to let him get on a BUS (what if he really had been a bomber...?) I cannot imagine. And why, between the bus and the tube, he couldnt have been challenged to stop I also cannot imagine. But the film has conveniently disappeared from the CCTVs and the whole thing is awash with rumour and counter-rumour. Not our most glorious hour I'm, afraid.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: