Internet scam - advice please

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 20 September 2005 12.40pm
All

Some time ago I registered a domain name. Recently I reeceived a letter from an organisation called "Domain Registry of America" warning me that the registration was about to expire. In my absence my partner sent DRA 55 to secure the registration. What we now realise is that DRA were actually requesting the right to transfer the domain from our current providers to DRA.

I have locked the domain with our current provider but DRA have received the money via Barclaycard. I assume the money is lost.

A Google search for < "Domain Registry of America" +fraud > turns up 650+ entries which indicate that DRA are involved in a practice referred to as 'slamming'.

Can anyone suggest any way of contributing to DRA's downfall?

Regards

Niall Connolly
Tuesday 20 September 2005 1.52pm
Make your partner refund the 55 quid out of his pocket and chalk it up to experience. You have to
admire people who can still con the gullible out of cash despite the widespread publicity given to
scams. Ask your partner (assuming it's a he) whether he's sent away for a course of penis lenghtening
tablets or a rolex for a tenner.
Tuesday 20 September 2005 4.24pm
Those tablets sound good. Any details?

{or do I just have to keep typing "penis lengthening tablets" and keep an eye out on the adverts at the top of the thread?}

Niall,

Sorry about your problem.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 20 September 2005 6.13pm
Ivanhoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those tablets sound good. Any details?

I'm not too sure but damn painful to insert ;-)

Tuesday 20 September 2005 6.57pm
HONESTLY you guys, have you no shame? Poor Niall has just be done out of fifty quid and you're making miserable jokes...take no notice Niall, I assumed your partner was your girl friend anyway, and I think it's all a rum do....and I for one dont think you've been applying for penis lengthening pills like Ivanhoe, Phoney and bmovie.
Tuesday 20 September 2005 8.05pm
A few hundred e:mails to their account - might not get the money back, but might make you feel better. Seriously, depending on the card you might be able to get it back, I'd have a chat to the bank, you may have some kind of protection against this sort of thing via the card.
Wednesday 21 September 2005 7.57am
All

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. In case anyone else ever has this problem here is the information that I have been able to obtain.

When you register a domain name, request that your provider 'lock' the domain which means that it cannot be transferred to another provider. Being unaware of the process I did not make this request (like many other domain owners).

Using a 'Whois' search, it is possible to obtain full contact details of the registered owner of a domain and, importantly, if the domain is locked.

'Domain Registry of America', a canadian company, use 'whois' searches to obtain status and contact details then write to the registered owner advising them that their domain is about to expire (usually true) and, in that context, offer to renew the registration for a fee. Of course, the letter is a phoney.

What the letter does not say is that DRoA are not a registrar of domain names (confirmed by ICANN, the domain name regulatory body), but their parent company, Namejuice.com, (also known as Brandon Grey Internet Services) is a registrar.

DRoA's letter is, in fact, a request for authorisation to transfer the domain to another registrar which will, in turn, lead to more charges when your domain registration actually expires. A bit like the plot of a bmovie.

ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) take an interest in these matters as Brandon Grey and NameJuice must be affiliated to ICANN.

If you paid by Barclaycard, their 'Chargeback' section will review the details to see if there are any grounds for a refund. This also gives them the opportunity to review their transaction service with their client (Brandon Grey or Namejuice).

Sadly in this tale, Ivanhoe hasn't ridden to the rescue but I am a day older and day wiser.

Regards to all.

Niall
Thursday 29 September 2005 11.04am
All

Just a brief follow-up. Emailed Domain Registry of America and requested a refund. Had to repeat the request twice. DRoA replied that the refund was approved. Case closed.

If only it was easy to get our rubbish collected regularly.

Regards

Niall
Thursday 29 September 2005 12.44pm
Glad it all worked out in the end.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: