Battersea power station chimneys

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 20 September 2005 10.37pm
Im alarmed to hear that Battersea power station chimneys may be pulled down and replaced with replicas.

How ever good the replicas are it will be a horrific thing to have to witness,and even after its been rebuilt it will still feel like they've gone.
Wednesday 21 September 2005 11.28am
I understand that the engineers have advised that the current chimneys are "beyond repair". I have a feeling that this probably means "very expensive to repair".
I agree that it would be a real shame to lose these iconic chimneys and as the power station is Grade I listed surely they will not be allowed to just pull them down.
Having said that, at least replicas would be something rather than just losing them altogether.
Wednesday 21 September 2005 2.26pm
Well that's what happens when plan after plan after plan falls through and a b uilding is allowed to deteriorate beyond repair...
Wednesday 21 September 2005 3.25pm
ah, but some of the previous plans were to knock it down all to gether,
Sunday 25 September 2005 11.49am
My own guess is that it is part of the (30 year old?) game.

The site is worth more to developers without the power station. The roof has been off for most of this time. The hope must be that either Wandsworth Council and others will crack, and allow it to be puleed down so that the transport improvements and toher things can take plce, or that the structure will simply become dangerous and need to be dismantled.

The current planning application has essentially been agreed for about 12 years. The trouble is that Councils cannot force developers onto a site simply because permission has been granted. Some movement happened two years ago when the five year extension to the origional planning was running out, and Ken made strong hints that he would not allow anything so generous in the future. So they had to start on site, but from the upper deck of the 344 this looks like little more than a couple of portacabins.

It looks, though I can't be sure, if they have now gone back to ask to dismantle two chimneys because they are dangerous. (I think they already had permission to dismantle a wall and replace it with glass or something.) With only two chimneys left the whole building would have been unbalanced. The response - then rebuild them - seems to be authorities not playing ball with the developers. The message presumably being that the developers bought the land with the power station on it, and they will have to live with it. Even though if weathering continues much longer we end up with a replica power station not a real one.

My money would be on the developers to win. They usually do....
Tuesday 4 October 2005 10.08pm
Why noy just knock it ALL down and build somethig useful?
Tuesday 4 October 2005 10.58pm
I agree. This site has been mouldering all my life. It is pathetic. I'm all in favour of preserving industrial architecture, but this is just not worth it any more. Time to demolish it. The site should also be compulsorily purchased and some affordable housing put on there, to show the developers that their games haven't paid off. [/angry rant]
Wednesday 5 October 2005 6.13am
Oh yes please, will someone somewhere make sure these developers get their comeuppance....but I'm afraid this only happens in fairy tales...the goodies wit moral rectitude win out over the avaricious bad guys.....HAH! In your DREAMS!!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: