How much Cider do you want?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 4 October 2005 1.20pm
Please reply here with an idea of roughly how much juice you require for cider making.

please bare in mind that 1 tonne of apples last year produced roughly 98 gallons of juice.

also juice can be taken in any sized container, but it needs the right equipment for fermentation, so the usual sizes are 1 or 2 gallon demijohns, or 5 gallon fermenter (which actually holds about 7 gals).
most of us last year just took one 5 gal ferm.

so please reply with how much juice, and in what quantities (1,2 or 5)
(because last year, someone wanted 5 gals, but in seperate containers to produce different types, and ended up with one large container)

You will need to already have containers available (there will be no spare ones on the weekend)

Thanks

Jon.
Tuesday 4 October 2005 2.15pm
The Ivanhousehold would like at least 4 big fermenters (so 28 gallons) please. Ideally, we would like more, so if there's any "unclaimed" juice then we should be able to take up the slack.

[If it's looking like other people want so much that there will be people going without, then we will scale down how much we take, but it'd be great if we knew this well in advance so I can sort out an alternative personal cider plan]

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 4 October 2005 2.57pm
I would like a 5 gallon (i.e. actually 7) and a 2 gallon (about 3 if memory serves) if possible, but happy to drop the 2 (3!) if needed.

Ta muchly for organising.
Jac
Thursday 6 October 2005 11.11am
As a starter I think we would like to make just a couple of gallons - thanks
Thursday 6 October 2005 11.20am
And I'm sure I agreed that we'd try a 2 gallon batch as well ...
Thursday 6 October 2005 12.46pm
No specific requirement for any cider - except perhaps to taste some of the product when ready. It is now looking likely that I shall only be able to attend on the Sunday to help.
Saturday 8 October 2005 5.45pm
anyone else?

We'll need more people than this to agree to make cider if we're going to use the (roughly) 100 gallons of juice that we're going to get from a tonne of apples!
Sunday 9 October 2005 11.23am
Sorry, took me a few days to notice this thread!
I'd like a 5 gallon fermenter (so 7 gallons) please.

The Sarah wanted 2 gallons last year.
Tharg & Ollie will want quite a lot too I should think.

Don't worry Jon, it will all get used I'm sure! Personally I'm quite keen on the fresh apple juice too, so if there's a spare gallon going I'll enjoy drinking it with my Sunday breakfast!
Monday 10 October 2005 8.12am
Jon. We'll always have more, if you're left with a surplus. I think there's one or two others who would volunteer similar help.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 10 October 2005 9.35am
We are probably not interested in making it. Sounds way to technical. But happy to have someone else make some for us. This way we get to go back to Much Marcle, and take credit for something we did not do. .
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: