Traffic problems on Friday night

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 8 October 2005 5.43pm
Not really SE1 I know but I thought I'd ask anyway....

We drove out of London last night, left our flat at about half seven, and got stuck in some horrendous traffic jams and it took us two hours to get to join the A4 in Hammersmith.

so, does anyone know why we were diverted off the main road on the way to Vauxhall Cross, past the Oval. and also why Battersea Bridge is closed, and also why we couldnt' drive north west from Parsons green to join the A4 further west and had to go back on ourselves up to Hammersmith?

we didn't hear a single traffic report on Capital fm in those two hours!
Saturday 8 October 2005 6.00pm
Battersea Bridge is closed because it was struck by a boat a few weeks back:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/metro/article.asp?id=638

It re-opens to buses on Monday, pending repairs.

If you're stuck in a traffic jam, then LBC News 1152 has travel news every 10 minutes.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 8 October 2005 6.24pm
I'm told there was an accident involving a cyclist at Vauxhall Cross. I was waved through the roadblock at the South end of Lambeth Bridge (Going West) as I was on a bike.
Sunday 9 October 2005 7.22pm
... and it was FRIDAY night ... (capital letters to give you a clue as to the cause ...)

And you might need to hit the TA/TP button on your radio to automatically pick up local traffic reports

Hope it was worth the trip though!
Monday 10 October 2005 7.54am
I'm also interested. The jam stretched back as far as Trafalgar Square. My kids took 90 minutes to get back from Clapham. No TP. We were all on buses, though ended up getting off and walking. It was amazingly bad.
Monday 10 October 2005 8.09am
I always go via the Nth embankment and Chelsea (probably because I'm so posh), but I'm sure that's the quicker way.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 10 October 2005 8.46am
Why, that's MY preferred route - I knew we had so much in common, anyhow, SE1 has been for some time the new SW1.
Monday 10 October 2005 9.06am
Wouldn't have helped.

It is amazing how any incident at either the Elephant or Vauxhall can jam up traffic across central London. Even for people who never go south of the river. That said my kids were waiting at Vauxhall for a bus, and didn't see anything there to cause the problem.

In terms of the quickest way, SE1 is confusing as it is a peninsular. So to go to Tower Bridge from Lambeth Bridge the most direct route is through the Elephant or St Georges Circus. Eg you turn your back to the river. Tube maps, which is how many people see London, is notoriously inaccurate. Worth knowing as many places which seem a long way away are within walking distance.
Monday 10 October 2005 9.15am
But, getting back to JonR's question - what started off Friday nights chaos exacerbating the usual Friday night slowness which Sarah mentioned.
Monday 10 October 2005 9.32am
It was Julie. I am the one who righteously uses public transport. In this case the better option as you can simply ask the driver to let you out when it is clear you are going nowhere.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: