Come the revolution...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 9 October 2005 2.37pm
Reading everything that is going on here now, Prescot's monstrous Towers and smash and grab sardine tin "affordable" (has anyone see a legal definition of affordable in this context?) poor quality housing developments that historic local buildings and trees in Southwark are being flattened for, the Emperor Ken's mad conjestion charging plans and stratospheric tube and train fare rises, the land grab that is going on in Stratford for the Olympic Games developments where hundreds of local businesses are being evicted from their own properties with a derisory compensation that doesn't allow them to relocate anywhere comperable and secure in the knowlage that after the games their land will be re-sold for housing at five times the price...... and whose ever spiralling direct and indirect taxes are are paying for all this and who gets the revenue from all these projects?

It reminds me unavoidably of some of the English history we did at school, the Land Enclosure Act and all that. Basically a land grab for the rich and the poor get kicked out.

There is only one solution.

We could have the first revolution in history where the people oust a sort of elected government to instate a king.
I could see Prince Charles at the barricades! I'm mostly joking here but there's a man who cares about architecture, sustainable developments, good food and trees, pity he's powerless.
Why are our politicians such barbarians?
Sunday 9 October 2005 2.45pm
You lost me when you started getting all monarchist.
Sunday 9 October 2005 5.01pm
Definitions of BARBARIAN on the Web:

- savage: a member of an uncivilized people
- peasant: a crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture or
refinement
- without civilizing influences; "barbarian invaders"; "barbaric
practices"; "a savage people.

Barbarian was originally a Greek term applied to any foreigner, one not sharing a recognized culture or degree of polish with the speaker or writer employing the term.

A Greek word adopted by the Romans to refer to any people who did not adopt the Roman way of life. It is said to have come originally from the sound bar-bar, which, according to the Greeks, was supposed to be the noise that people made when speaking foreign languages.

Originally from the Greek for foreigners, meaning those who spoke an unintelligible language and had outlandish manners. It has come to mean a rude, crude, untutored, uncultured, cruel, almost savage person who is ignorant of civilized customs and human dignity.

Non-city dweller. Can be human, beast or mutant. Barbarians may have adepts, but they do not have masters.

So glad it's not just little old me who is so BOILING at the outrages of this government...well, they wanted it, and they got it. I always remember John Prescott giggling as the new Labour government in 1997 took its seat saying "I never thought this would happen"...well HE should never have happened as far as I'm concerned. I could WEEP with frustration at the wholesale concreting over of our city.
Monday 10 October 2005 8.52am
A nice cup of herbal tea helpsw. I saw a Matthew Parrish documentary recently where he re-visited somewhere in the North he last spent time in as a younger (and more idealistic) man ... now with high unemployment, drug-use, social-exclusion etc etc a significant proportion were medicated. Soma anyone?

Monday 10 October 2005 9.10am
Which feeds nicely back into our discussion about Thames Water on another thread. Just what could they be putting into your water? Or that in the Houses of Parliament for that matter.
Monday 10 October 2005 9.13am
I recently had coffee with member of the Upper Chamber, when I innocently enquired, "Is poverty history yet", he got very tetchy. You may have a point Andrew.
Monday 10 October 2005 9.50am
Paul - I had no idea you moved in such.. 'elevated' circles! Come the revolution maybe it will have to be you up against the wall too, you running dog lackey you! ;-)
Wednesday 12 October 2005 7.33pm
>>Basically a land grab for the rich and the poor get kicked out.

Strangely enough, I see it rather differently.

Businesses that have been successful over many years are forced to sell their property at derisory rates. So a land grab for the poor, with the moderately wealthy kicked out.

And then when the rich have their sites, they are heavily restricted as to what they can do with them. e.g. Bellway on Spa Road - they bought the land when they only had to put 25% social housing on site. Now they have to put 35% social housing on the site - the goalposts have moved and they are being taxed.

>who gets the revenue from all these projects?

Errr, unclear. Public sector employees - of whom there are more every week. So they're so grateful, they vote Labour.

Wednesday 12 October 2005 8.08pm
"And then when the rich have their sites, they are heavily restricted as to what they can do with them".

Sorry to differ Mapmaker but if 'the rich' (Am guessing Davies was using this as a euphemism for Developers) weren't making any money out of the situation they wouldn't use their dirty tricks (as mentioned on the Potters Field thread) to get hold of the land and build on it. I'm with Jackie in my 'throw my hands up in horror' at the sheer obscenity of what is happening with Potters Field. In my efforts to put a stop to the Tooley Street Red Route being used as a Tour Coach/City Hall parking area (for five years) I have been generally fobbed off, placated and ignored by our Elected Representatives. If any of the local political bods come looking for my vote ... as this is a family site, a shall refrain from elucidating.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: