Have I just been Done?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 11 October 2005 12.07pm
A little while ago I was googling and a Microsoft message flashed up on the screen saying that I was an hourly winner and to call a number within the next 3 minutes to claim my 1001 prize.

I don't usually bother with this sort of stuff but as it was an 0800 number I assumed it was free so called. An electronic voicemail asked me to hold as they were busy. I gave up after a couple of minutes as the claim time had elaspsed anyway.

I am now wondering if I have been done! Was I maybe charged 50 a minute while I was on hold? Would the electronic voice have legally have to have told me if I was being charged for the call?
Tuesday 11 October 2005 12.44pm
Check your bill at BT.com or ring 0800 854 608 for the latest call charges (assuming you're with BT)

And go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections and make sure no premium rate dialler was installed.
Monday 24 October 2005 2.15pm
No, you probably were eligible for something for nothing. It is fairly common in a capitalist democracy for people who don't know you to give you money for no reason.

If someone in the street stops you and says they are a wallet inspector, be sure to give them your wallet also.
Monday 24 October 2005 2.51pm
Monday 19 December 2005 5.50pm
did you ever find out if you were had?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: