Firewall fury

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 24 October 2005 1.50pm
Hello lovely SE1 techies,

Mr Hat has installed a Norton firewall on his G4 applemac and it is so over-efficient that the only way we can access the web is to turn the damned thing off - it even rejects this site! Any ideas? We've tried messing about and changing the settings etc, but it doesn't seem to have much effect. Any help most gratefully received...
fabhatx
Monday 24 October 2005 2.00pm
What sort of internet connection do you have?

If it's ADSL, do you have a USB modem that plugs straight into the computer, or do you have an ethernet or wireless modem/router?

If it's the latter I wouldn't bother with a Norton firewall, as your router is effectively a hardware firewall between you and the internet. Your computer(s) are not directly visible from the outside world.

And in any case OS X has a built-in firewall.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 24 October 2005 10.57pm
Hello, Mr Hat here:

Here's the spec:
It's a G4 Powermac running OS10.3.5 and Internet Security 3.0 with an internal modem.

Like Mrs H says, it's driving us both nuts. The built in Mac Firewall is set to deny all incoming traffic, and
the Norton Firewall the same, with the "Medium (recommended)" easy set up option selected.
What are we doing wrong?
Are they conflicting? I understand tech stuff up to a point, but this doesn't seem to make sense.

Please help us!!
Cheers.
Monday 24 October 2005 11.07pm
Personally I'd uninstall the Norton Firewall and forget about it.

Stick to the built-in one.

If you're using a dial-up connection your IP address most likely changes every time you connect, so you're at less risk anyway.

Tuesday 25 October 2005 8.03am
Mr Hat

Like James says, dump Norton. We use Demon with a router and don't have any 'firewall fears'. Apple also publish regualr security updates and I haven't heard of any hackers attacking homeuse Macs (ditto PCs).

I used to use Norton with OS9 but since it messed with my OS9/OSX setup I've moved over to DiskWarrior which takes care of my Mac's directory. I don't miss Norton and I have more time to read the papers because I'm not 'DiscDoctoring' or 'Speeddisking'.

Regards

Niall
Tuesday 25 October 2005 10.10am
Cheers Guys!
I think we will go ahead and uninstall it. Hardly have it on anyway.

By the way, Niall, we just signed up to Demon for Broadband internet. Are you pleased with them?
I was going to use a wireless router for that too, as I am sick of stringing a 4metre cable across the room everytime I want to go surfin'! Will we still be ok?
Are there any particular routers you recommend that are compatible with Mac?

Thanks again everyone.

Mr and Mrs Hat.

Tuesday 25 October 2005 10.20am
We're with Demon too, and haven't had any problems.

Virtually any bog-standard ethernet or wireless router/modem should be Mac compatible, though they may not come with Mac-friendly instructions.

A few routers have configuration utilities which are Windows-only, so look for one which uses a web-based interface for setup.

Tuesday 25 October 2005 6.08pm
Mr & Mrs Hat

A recommendation for a wireless router? Strange you should ask that because I have been assisting another SE1er with just such an effort. Thus far the router, a Belkin product (F5D7633-4 Wireless G router), has proved recalcitrant. Probably my ignorance but others have also experienced problems ( see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14618738 ).

My own feeling would be that an Apple airport hub would be the best wireless link but I understand that you need to plug a broadband router into the Airport hub. The Belkin device claims to integrate these two elements however if you look at this http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/barricade.shtml you'll find a very good explanation of the whole wireless/router/ethernet/broadband subject as well as a review of an alternative 'all in one' by SMC.

Maybe I need to treat myself with an iBook and go wireless (Ooooohhh errr!).

Regards

Niall
Tuesday 25 October 2005 7.38pm
Oh, and another thing........

Demon have been fine. We use a wired router, preconfigured by them, and it has worked straight out of the box.

I've also just received a recommendation from someone who knows about these things to consider the Netgear G256AHA wireless router, 109 from Jigsaw and you don't need an Apple Airport hub.

Regards

Niall
(more knowledgeable about wireless by the minute)
Wednesday 26 October 2005 10.14am
Mrs Hat here,

Thanks for all , for all your help - it'll be so nice to access the internet at home without gritted teeth, wailing and rending of clothes...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: