Smoke Detector false alarm 3am

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 27 October 2005 12.54pm
This morning 3:15am the smoke alarm started. Since it hasn't made a sound for 2 years at first I didn't know what it was and checked the phone, computer etc; before going out to the hall. I have no idea what started it off. It's connected to the mains so not a low battery problem. I was wondering if there was a power cut and when the power came back on it started?
As there was no smoke, dust, condensation or suchlike I can't work out why it went off.
Any ideas? Regularly I can hear neighbours alarms going off evenings and weekends so maybe it's the cheap brand the TMC installed that's the prob.
Smoke Alarm Info Here
Anonymous User
Thursday 27 October 2005 1.40pm
Is the battery dying?
Thursday 27 October 2005 3.07pm
i have a fire angel which is detector/light combined. if i turn the switch off and on quickly it sets it off, when i had a battery one it bleeped when it got very cold....
Thursday 27 October 2005 4.26pm
after reading that page, I think I'm going to move my smoke detector to the other side of the room, away from the door to the kitchen - it's always going off when we're cooking!
Thursday 27 October 2005 6.22pm
You should have a heat detector in a kitchen, not a smoke detector. I remember somebody in College cooking himself sausages at 2am after having drunk far too much, and going to sleep letting the sausages burn! The whole Coll. was evacuated when the smoke alarm when off.
Thursday 27 October 2005 8.46pm
Obviously something about drunk students and late night cooking experiments. I had the same problem at Sussex, except it was toast being burnt on this occasion (by my flatmate, not me).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: