Omelette recipe for posh people

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 29 October 2005 10.53am
I watched a chef on the BBC make a spanish omelette recently and have become addicted to them as they're so quick and easy to make and absolutely delicious. I googled for variations on the recipe and found the one below for posh people. Being a common person I use chicken eggs but I do use Jersey Royal new potatoes whenever possible and my pan is a heavy circa 1999 model.

Posh Spanish omelette - Tortilla de Patatas
Ingredients: (4 Persons)
4 x Grade 1 Rare-breed turkey eggs (Twin-yolk)
2 table-spoons of hand-pressed Catalan Extra-Virgin olive oil
200 grams of Jersey Royal (Greve-de-lecq) potatoes

50 grams of square Spanish onions
5 cl. Argentinean Chilli oil (Musky)
Fresh inch-hemmed Kefalonian baby-oregano leaves
Finely-cradled Baltic Sea Salt
Quartered peppercorns.

Preparmentation
Delicately slice the onions into poker-straight strips. Hone the patatas (potatoes) into 6 mm thick slices (if you don't have time to measure these exactly, have one of the hired-help do this).

Using a 'Smeedens' (Est. 1789) Victorian Farmhouse cast-iron pan, frizzle the patatas in the hot chilli oil until quite nicely umbered. Stirring occasionally to placate them. When a cooked firmament has been achieved, release from the pan.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/poshnosh/recipes/omelette2.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/poshnosh/recipes/omelette3.shtml

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 29 October 2005 11.09am by phoney.
Saturday 29 October 2005 11.49am
LOL!

I like spanish omlettes too, especially as a summer lunch with a crisp green salad, some crusty bread & a good bottle of vino - and good friends to share it with too of course! Bet it's every bit as good as the above even if my patatas have not been "umbered"!
Monday 31 October 2005 11.57am
In the pub last night I was told that there is a real posh way to make fluffy omeletes.

You SEPERATE the white and then whisk to get air in. Do not form peaks like meringue.

Then you fold in the white to the yolk and fry as normal.

I am so hungry thinking about it. Got some large flat shrooms in the fridge too.

Byeee !
Monday 31 October 2005 12.34pm
Kevin, fluffy omelettes are the best!
My old man used to make them plain and fry them gently in butter. Spread on top would be a generous covering of homemade jam....yummy!!! Incidently, my sister acquired the nick-name "Jam Shoes' as she would attempt to roll up the omelette 'Swiss roll style' and march around the kitchen with predictable results.
I've made them since but haven't quite got the knack of maintaining the aeration. Any tips?
Monday 31 October 2005 12.50pm

I wonder if I will have the knack Janorak.!
I am in training for my first ever fluffy omelette... using a stress ball to build up my wrist strength.

I will issue a press release re my fluffiness tomorrow.
Monday 31 October 2005 12.52pm
You're lovely & fluffy already Kevin! ;-)
Monday 31 October 2005 1.02pm
Janorak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin, fluffy omelettes are the best!
> My old man used to make them plain and fry them
> gently in butter. Spread on top would be a
> generous covering of homemade jam....yummy!!!
> Incidently, my sister acquired the nick-name "Jam
> Shoes' as she would attempt to roll up the
> omelette 'Swiss roll style' and march around the
> kitchen with predictable results.
> I've made them since but haven't quite got the
> knack of maintaining the aeration. Any tips?

When you've whisked the whites, gently fold in the the rest of the mixture with a spoon, taking care not to knock the air out.

Monday 31 October 2005 1.54pm
Kevin last year i was demonstrating to my grand daughter the way i was taught to beat egg white. on a flat plate with a palatte knife ( true) I must have had stronger wrist action years ago.....I got it on it's way just gently frothing up, then a peak...then turned it upside down to prove a point.....my floor was sticky for ages!
Monday 31 October 2005 6.25pm
You can cheat, and half cook the bottom, then put the pan under a hot grill which makes the top go fairly fluffy.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 12.22am
That's what I do all the time - that way the bottom doesn't burn before the top is cooked. I also like to mix some milk with the egg: about half a small cup for every 2 eggs, as it results in a bigger, softer, fluffier omelette. I also find that the quickest way of beating egg-whites is to use an electric handheld blender, holding it at an angle to maximise the amount of air going into the egg. Cheating indeed, but it's quick and easy.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: