Wi Fi

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 8 November 2005 2.53pm
Does anyone have recommendations? I have fairly thick walls and generally 'work' in a room which is at a distance from where the Landline comes in and where the Wi Fi 'transmitter' would be.
Tuesday 8 November 2005 5.10pm
How far is the distance and what are the walls made of? Juding by the large number of my neighbours' Wi-fi networks that I can detect on my computer, I'd say that the signal goes a lot farther than you think! :-) An 802.11g connection should pretty much work for most situations. But tell us a bit more about your specifics....

Also, as an option to wireless, there are adapters that allow you to run your internet connection into any electrical point in your house - and access it in other rooms through the house, from the electical points there. That could be something worth looking into....

Tuesday 8 November 2005 5.18pm
Ohmigod, so much info already! As I'm just dipping my toe in the water I'd not heard of an 802.11g connection, what does that mean in very very lay terms? Walls are a mix of brick and solid concrete and my 'work' (ie mucking about) area is c.10 metres (as the mice run) from where I'd like to put the 'transmitter'.
Thank you Osamede.
Tuesday 8 November 2005 9.08pm
802.11g is the faster flavour of Wi-Fi that is now pretty much standard, but you'll want to check that both the wireless transmitter that you plug into your internet connection (an ADSL/cable line?) and the wireless card in your computer talk to each other properly. If the card in your computer is a little older it may be 802.11b which is slower, but a newer wireless transmitter will be able to talk at both speeds. If you're fortunate enough to have a Mac, this is the chap to go for, I would have thought:
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Cheers,

Andrew
Tuesday 8 November 2005 9.14pm
I've found a little book 'Wi Fi for Dummies' which I'll read through, that and the info you boys have given me is going to hopefully get me started. This thread may of course re-appear when I buy and attempt to install!
Wednesday 9 November 2005 3.28am
There was another thread on the site recently about WiFi, IIRC. I think maybe Plum or Fabhat contributed to it as well as Nial Connolly, if that helps your search.
Thursday 10 November 2005 3.39pm
Hi there!
I recently invested in a Netgear router. They are supposed to be the bee's knobbly knees.
However, I can't work it yet as I need an Airport card for my Mac (G4 desktop tower). Anyone know where
I can pick one up other than ebay where they seem to go for 100 upwards. Or, I keep hearing about
Wifi dongles. Is it possible to use one on a desktop? Any recommendations/ advice?
Cheers

ps Why is all this broadband wireless business so complex??!!!!
Thursday 10 November 2005 10.10pm
I've got a headache, why did I start this thread. Thanks though Mr Fabhat, you've added to the sum of my knowledge (not understanding, you will note).
Thursday 10 November 2005 11.47pm
fabhat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, I can't work it yet as I need an Airport
> card for my Mac (G4 desktop tower). Anyone know
> where

What vintage G4 is it? What colour, etc? Are you sure it needs an old-style Airport card rather than the current standard Airport Extreme?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Jac
Friday 11 November 2005 9.38am
air port cards or airport extreme, sounds more like your going on holiday or playing some PS 2 game, Why such silly names?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: