Dentist, help

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 November 2005 7.45pm
ive just signed up with a new dentist which does both NHS & private work

on the first visit he told me id need four fillings at 65 a pop for the white & as ive got 2 teeth missing id need 2 bridges which he recomended over implants, he said he'd try & get it on the nhs.
oh! he didnt clean my teeth just checked them, is this right?

on the second visit i had to ask him to put the fillings in because he said he wasnt planning to do any work on me that day even though we had arranged it pryor. he told me that i couldnt get both bridges on the NHS, they could only pay upto 400, he said he could do them for 850 per tooth which he said is half price.
he said he'd use good quality matarial.
& also recomended 6 Porcelain veneers at 300 each. all in all to fill the gaps with bridges which includes the crowns & 6 Porcelain veneer cost 3500. is this a fair price? & how can i make sure he'll use good quality material? im far from being rich & it is alot of money to spend so i want to make sure i use a good dentist.
has any one had any of this work done.
& how can i find out if he is a good dentist
he in hammersmith.

Tuesday 15 November 2005 8.21pm
Hi Alex, you might want to have a look on this website, it also has a search engine which will allow you to find dentists in SE1

Good Luck,
Wednesday 16 November 2005 10.10am
Alex, take Lil's advice and shop around....
Thursday 17 November 2005 9.14am
It does not sound bad, Alex. I had an implant that costs 1500 and The Crown on top costs about 1500 too. So 3000 for just one tooth. This is an outrageously expensive dentist in Harley Street and I wish I had shopped around a bit more to find a good, but more reasonably priced dentist. I went tyo a NHS dentist here down the road, but he did not have enough experience with putting crowns on implants, so could not really help.

But if anyone knows a good private dentist, not in Harley Street, and reasonably priced then I'd love to know.
Thursday 17 November 2005 11.21am
I have a fantastic dentist - nice, painless (mostly) and althought not NHS, not stupidly expensive. Only problem is that he's based in Blackheath - but he's so good, that my entire family have been following him around for years - we've gone as far as Thamesmead to see him...
His clinic is the Eastbrook Practice and the contact details are:

Dr Moraitis:
72 Eastbrook Road, Blackheath, London, SE3 8BT
Tel: 020 8856 1867

Hope that helps - good luck with all those SE1 teeth...
Thursday 17 November 2005 11.37am
I have a great dentist in Central Oxford. An affluent area, so it pays for him to splash out on latest kit, but he able to be a lot cheaper than Central London. He has a very good hygenist. Apparantly a reasonable proportion of his clients come from London. Its not so bad for us, because we are reasonably close to Victoria coach station, and his practice is a few minutes walk from where the coach ends up.

I too ended up going private when I needed work that a NHS dentist could not do. (I paid 3,000 for a vary large bridge, on end of which was on a tooth that already had a crown.) However I have not had any work done for ages, and suspect that having good work done in the first place, followed by a major morning flossing routine, means that I am spending less on my teeth annually than I was under the NHS, and certainly less than I spend on, say, hairdressers.

I also started taking my children there as I felt that if they were going to have issues with their teeth it was likely to be when the teth first started coming through. He does children and old people under the NHS. As it turns out my daughter's back teeth did not have enough enamel, because she had been such a sick baby and so they did not form properly. But it was then a very quick process to attach a protective plastic surface.

If anyone fancies an annual trip to Oxford, I am happy to pass on details.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: