Country & Western question

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 20 November 2005 11.45pm

Why were Faith Hill and Tim McGraw referred to as the 'first couple of country" at the CMA awards? Just curious.

Monday 21 November 2005 12.51am
I did a quick Google and found a picture titled - "Faith Hill and Tim McGraw at the 74th Annual Academy Awards®". Not being a C&W buff I don't know what these fine looking people are all about. And yes, I should go to bed.
Monday 21 November 2005 5.47am
Apparently they have been married to each other since 1996 (warning - link points to a shockingly awful fan website).

I think they sell quite a few records, although I'm more of a Nanci Griffith, Alison Krauss, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Gillian Welch fan myself...

Monday 21 November 2005 8.52am
and your first concert was?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 21 November 2005 9.08am

Thanks for that. Married. Obvious really. Should have thought of that but Faith's rather thick neck, square jaw and belter of a voice put me off the scent.

PS Old skool recommendation - 'Stumble into grace' by Emmylou Harris
Monday 21 November 2005 11.45am
Sadly Ivanhoe, none of the above. Although it did involve someone with a guitar who liked telling stories through the lyrics of their songs, much like some of the country/folk singers I've listed.

Niall - thanks for the tip, I'll hunt it down.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 November 2005 11.48am by Andrew.
Anonymous User
Monday 21 November 2005 11.54am
Rolf Harris? Ralph McTell?
Monday 21 November 2005 12.15pm
Val Doonican? Brian and Michael?
Monday 21 November 2005 12.28pm
Clara Rockmore? Elgar?
Monday 21 November 2005 2.30pm
Faith Hill and Tim McGraw are born again Christians, and yes, married to each other, with a young family. Nashville Tennessee -- the home of Country Music -- is known as the Bible Belt; so these two are represented as the ideal of a Christian country music family -- hence, "First Couple."
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: