Text Spam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 27 November 2005 4.46pm
Checking the Cell Phone bill I noticed I was being charged 1.28 for each Text received from five-digit numbers eg 84233 etc. As these Texts are unsolicited and I receive no benefit from them I called the 'phone company who said there is nothing they can do to stop this (hey, they're getting their cut of the money so why should they?). It was only when I pressured them that they told me to Text 'STOP' to the numbers involved however it could take up to seven days for the messages to cease. Meanwhile of course I will be getting these unwanted messages from other five digit numbers and will find myself in situation not unlike trying to block leaks in a collander. I pushed for more information, was put on Hold and eventually given numbers of companies to call.

Has anyone else been stung by this Scam? What have you done to resolve it? I liken this Scam to my walking down a street, a young lady appears from a building featuring red light bulbs and says she's taken 100 from my bank. My bank gives her the money by Direct Debit despite the fact that I have had no benefit from the encounter and indeed didn't ask her to approach me. I can't ask the bank not to pay as they are obliged to. Aaaargh.
Sunday 27 November 2005 9.09pm
Are you charged whether you open the message or not? If you don't recognise a number
like 85058 ( Radio 5Live) and you just delete it, surely you're not charged.
Must admit I find mobiles a b***** nuisance. I rarely carry my PAYG as I hate being bothered by
calls that are never urgent.
Sunday 27 November 2005 9.29pm
Yes, you are charged even if you delete the message without reading it.

I had the same problem about 2 years ago - my credit kept being exhausted -as soon as I topped up, more of these texts arrived and drained the credit.

I did complain to ICSTIS but didn't get a very helpful response.

I think texting STOP to the offending number did work, but bear in mind when you send that STOP message you are paying through the nose for that too!

Try Googling for the text short code(s) the messages come from, plus, say, text spam - you will probably find forums and blogs where other people describe the same experience.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 27 November 2005 9.33pm
On my Cell, Nokia, the initial screen says 'Message Received' and there is no choice as to what to do (ie no Delete option), you are obliged to go to the next screen by pressing 'Open' which then opens the message. I seem to remember that on older handsets there was a choice as to whether you opened or deleted the message and also the Sender was identified on the initial screen.
Monday 28 November 2005 1.41pm
Mine is a really old Nokia 3310 PAYG with Virgin and on only a couple of times I received a text
from an unknown number, I just selected Options and Delete without opening.
Mind you, I wouldn't know if I had been charged as a 20 quid top-up lasts me about 3 months.
Monday 28 November 2005 1.45pm
Nokia 3310 - Yes Phoney, you're right to have a coal fired one - these all-singing-all-dancing handsets are largely (a) unnecessary and (b) open up opportunities for scams. I used to love my 3310 and all the others before it - it was a useful ear warmer in cold weather also!
Thursday 1 December 2005 12.56pm
would this site help anyone?

<www.saynoto0870.co.uk>
Thursday 1 December 2005 3.13pm
Thanks for that Jan - will print it off and read later. You're a star.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: