Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Anonymous User
Friday 9 December 2005 9.09am
Do any of you know of a plant which will survive in the corner of a room with only a little little natural light?

Friday 9 December 2005 9.40am
Mother-in-law's tongue? I read in a magazine last week that they are indestructible, and can survive just as well in light or shade.
Anonymous User
Friday 9 December 2005 10.10am
Ace! I shall get one immediately.

Do you have one of them? Do the cats eat it?
Friday 9 December 2005 10.40am
I do have one. The cats rub against it but don't eat it, though they bite it now and again. It's toxic to pets (and humans), though I don't think it's very toxic. You can grow your own from one of my leaves if you like.
Friday 9 December 2005 11.21am
We have a little ficus that seems quite happy in a dark corner. It hasn't grown much, but it hasn't died in two years.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 9 December 2005 12.06pm
See the list of Low Light plants near the bottom of this page --> Indoor Plants
Friday 9 December 2005 4.31pm
footcandles (ft-c) - a measurement of light, mentioned on the Link posted by Phoney. I've never heard that before. Does anyone know how the measuring system works?
Friday 9 December 2005 4.33pm
It's the amount of light you see in your eye if you are of average height, on a clear day, if you stand up and balance a candle in between your big and second toe (either foot will do, apparently).

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 9 December 2005 4.35pm
You are so making that up Ivanhoe! I Googled and found this:

Footcandles and Lux for Architectural Lighting
(An introduction to Illuminance)
(c) 1999, Bill Williams, Edition 2.1

One of the factors used when designing architectural lighting systems is ILLUMINANCE.

ILLUMINANCE is a measure of the amount of light falling on a surface. It is defined as: 'the density of the luminous flux incident on a surface'. It is the quotient of the luminous flux by the area of the surface when the latter is uniformly illuminated. - (E = df / dA)

One footcandle is the illuminance at a point on a surface which is one foot from, and perpendicular to, a uniform point source of one candela. One lux is the illuminance at the same point at a distance of 1 meter from the source. One lumen uniformly distributed over one square foot of surface provides an illumination of 1 footcandle.

If you work in feet, your results will be in footcandles - (1 footcandle = 1 lumen/square ft.)
If you work in meters, your results will be in lux - (1 lux = 1 lumen/square meter)

Friday 9 December 2005 4.39pm
Ooh, you beat me to it!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: