Merry Christmas

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 23 December 2005 9.09am
Yes, it that time of year again and once again I have been deputed by the convention of lurkers to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

We would all, the many thousands of us that there are from all corners of the earth brought together by the medium of the interweb, like to thank you for the informative and entertaining year that you have given us.

At our recent annual meeting, it was decided that we should add a new tradition to the many that we observe. Most of our rituals are, of course, very secretive. That is the lot of lurkers. We felt, however that we should institute an award for the Poster of the Year.

We did toy with the idea of having a number of categories:

Most entertaining

Most informative

Best cider maker

Best cider drinker

Most obscure

but we felt, after lengthy deliberation, that at awards ceremonies generally, the minor awards are merely a distraction and people only want to know if they have won the main one. We also found that as we could not agree on the categories ("Best sausage related post" - really?) we would never agree on the winners.

We have deliberated long and hard over the winner of poster of the year. Obviously our views are objective. We have no axe to grind. We have taken into account a number of factors; frequency of posts, humour, style, spellling and punctuation (you cannot believe how irritating poor spelling can be when trying to read through many many posts; this is not the only website that we have to lurk at) helpfulness to the community and general all round good-eggedness.

We then discovered that our winner is actually two people, or rather two people on here are one and the same and used to be someone else. Although others had emerged ahead in the field, the aggregate score of the two names used by our winner and our fascination (which will hopefully be explained in the acceptance speech) as to why two names are used and when and why one is used over the other at any particular time, has lead us to an easier choice.

The winner is someone who has been posting on here for years. She has campaigned tirelessly for local issues and is a true SE1er. She has also injected wit and humour into her posts and had been a bedrock of the social side of this forum. A special mention must also be made of the other members of her family who appear to support her in all her many activities without grumble or question.

The winner is....

The Sarah/Sarah 2.

Congratulations!

Until next year. Keep posting, keep entertaining and keep informaing.
Friday 23 December 2005 10.03am
A Lurker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> into account a number of factors; frequency of
> posts, humour, style, spellling and punctuation
> (you cannot believe how irritating poor spelling
> can be when trying to read through many many
> posts; this is not the only website that we have
> to lurk at)
>
> >
> >
> >
> Until next year. Keep posting, keep entertaining
> and keep informaing.

Keep up the good work and spelling. Lurker! Practice what you preach.

Friday 23 December 2005 10.24am
Hooray for both the Sarahs!

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 23 December 2005 11.04am
Well deserved!
Friday 23 December 2005 11.09am
Congratulation to both Sarahs, without whom Archbishops Park in particular and Waterloo in general would be much poorer places.

May you have many more years of successful campaigning against unscrupulous developers, be they multinationals or "great and the good" charity trustees.
Friday 23 December 2005 11.14am
Hear hear!
Friday 23 December 2005 4.48pm
Absolutely...congratulations Sarah, a woman of vim and vigour! Sarah for Mayor!
Saturday 24 December 2005 11.07am
"a woman of vim and vigour". Couldn't put it better. Happy Cause-Following in 2006, The Sarahs.
Sunday 25 December 2005 1.15am
I believe this is the first post on this section of the Forum, on Christmas Day 2005.

I live in Ireland - but love London, and this Forum was the very first one I ever posted on. (You should see me now, I've developed a 5 hour a day habit...!)

But this place - and the people here, still have a special place in my heart.

I wish you all the best, for Christmas (not mad on it myself, but muddle through), and also for a wonderful 2006.

You've got something quite special going here - continued success to you all.

Deirdre.
Wednesday 28 December 2005 12.49am
A Lurker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...

> We felt,
> however that we should institute an award for the
> Poster of the Year.
>
> We did toy with the idea of having a number of
> categories:
>
> Most entertaining
>
> Most informative
>
> Best cider maker
>
> Best cider drinker
>
> Most obscure
>
>
> but we felt, after lengthy deliberation, that at
> awards ceremonies generally, the minor awards are
> merely a distraction and people only want to know
> if they have won the main one. ...

What were the minor awards?

I want one!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: