international drive..orlando

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 17 February 2006 4.41pm
Much against my better judgement I have agreed to go on holiday with my family to Orlando, spurred on by the fact that it's being paid for! Has any one have any advice for an old biddy wiv a walking stick, apart from don't go!

apparently a trip to Universal is on the cards, do buses go from the Comfort Inn on international drive to universal? I could not any where on there site to see and e-mails have not been answered...

I hate flying too..:-( any got any intravenous diazepam? I thought I would ask you seasoned travellers..:-)
Friday 17 February 2006 6.22pm
Jan,

International Drive is miles long with any number of Hotels. I can't remember where we stayed as we booked at the airport, but buses to the major attractions were not a problem, because that is why people are there.

One deal we missed out on was the hotel was selling mutli-day multi- attraction tickets. The Epcot Centre was a complete bore, but we had a day ticket so could not escape to Disney next door.

There were lots of Americans who were to big to walk, so I assume there will be buggies etc to hire. Also a lot of standing in queues, so you could consider some form of fold up seat. It would be well worth looking at disability provision. Who knows you might be able to queue jump.

Be warned that it can get amazingly hot. We were there in November but got significant sun-burn.

One of the surprising things about America for me is how big it is and how beautiful much of the landscape is, once you get beyond urban strip and sprawl. The Florida coasts are lovely, and a trip through the swamp would be good.

Enjoy!

Sarah
Friday 17 February 2006 7.04pm
Jan - re. flying - I hate it too, but a dizzypam and a gin and tonic 45 minutes before take off works wonders for me. You'll have plenty of films to watch during the flight so you won't even think about flying, it's not long either so time will fly!
Monday 20 February 2006 11.51am
Thank you...

Sarah - the kids are telling me I love snakes, crocs/alligators ( I get a bit mixed up!)
that I will enjoy going on one of those funny boats with a gigantic fan on the back..:-(
I am far too fat for that type of transport and it looks very wibbly wobbly too!

bmovies - a dizzy pam and a gin and tonic sounds great to me...how long do they take to work? and how long does the effect stay on you?
Monday 20 February 2006 12.16pm
Jan, you will have to go to Gatorland. It's fantastic and you get to watch the crocs eat dinner. If you have trouble walking, get the family to put you in a wheelchair (sounds drastic) but you get to jump the queus!!!!

Jan the old one wrote:
Thank you...
Sarah - the kids are telling me I love snakes, crocs/alligators ( I get a bit mixed up!)
that I will enjoy going on one of those funny boats with a gigantic fan on the back..:-(
I am far too fat for that type of transport and it looks very wibbly wobbly too!

bmovies - a dizzy pam and a gin and tonic sounds great to me...how long do they take to work? and how long does the effect stay on you?
Monday 20 February 2006 12.36pm
Pops....that sounds great...is Gatorland far from international drive?a wheel chair may sound drastic but my days of trekking are over, I can amble for short spurts...but to stand for any time would have me begging for dizzy pam and gin! lmao...I will take the suggestion of a wheel chair up as I dont want to spoil the kids holiday... Now have any of se1 ers found a karaoke bar in international drive.....i love to sing...no one likes to listen though....serious!....:-)
Monday 20 February 2006 2.20pm
http://www.gatorland.com

Not sure how far it is from International Drive. Have a look at the site though!!
Monday 20 February 2006 5.10pm
Jan - I have absolutely no knowledge of Florida I'm afraid, but have a look at virtualtourist.com - you can post questions on the forum there and since its a merkin site I'm sure somebody will be able to give you all the info you need.

Sarah
Monday 20 February 2006 6.02pm
Sarah...how lovely a merkin site..I've not heard that for a long time...makes me get in a right frizz...sorry tizz!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: