DIY Plumbing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Anonymous User
Tuesday 28 February 2006 5.10pm
How easy do you think it would be to remove an integrated dishwasher and washing machine and replace them with the unintegrated versions?

Could I do this myself do you reckon? My gut feeling is that I could but does anyone have any warnings or reasons why I should pay for a plumber?
Tuesday 28 February 2006 6.35pm
When you say "integrated" - do you mean, built into the units in the kitchen ?

I recently replaced my 18 month old dishwasher (loud bang, lots of smoke and a small flood - still, at least the floors don't need washing for a while) which is built into my kitchen units. I was quite surprised to discover that the integrated door is actually just a piece of door provided by the kitchen fitters - all you do is unscrew the door fitting, then replacing the dishwasher was just like normal (unconnect hoses, screw down feet of dishwasher, drag out of space with great effort, slide in new dishwasher, screw up feet of dishwasher, connect same hoses) and you just screw the kitchen door back on the front.

The key thing (and apologies if this is grandmother sucking eggs) is to make sure the dimensions are the same. If your set up is like this, I found it pretty easy - but I was replacing like with like [courtesy of the manufacturer]

Edited to say that a woman who can lay her own laminate flooring should have no difficulties...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 28 February 2006 6.35pm by Siduhe.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 11.37pm
Get JonR to do it for you.

Seriously Sidhue is right. And it is not very hard. Though on sucking eggs worth checking that you are replacing cold fill with cold fill etc or there will be a pipe problem. Intergrated ones are a faff, and the bit of wood never seems to fit the new machine. Plus they tend to cost more.

That said, and as a landlord I ought to have lots of experience, I tend to look to have the new one plumbed in and the old one taken away. Washing Machines weight a ton. And the connection cost is a lot lower than getting a plumber out. (As a precaution though I usually unplumb the old machine, just to make sure there is no excuse for them not taking it away. I have discovered Comet delivery people are very bad at sucking their teeth and explaining why exactly it is impossible for them to touch the pipe work. They did it three times within about six months in three different properties, though in fairness their weekend deliveries are good and reliable.)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 28 February 2006 11.39pm by sarah2.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 8.23am
they charge you 300 more for an integrated one. a part from the correct size, you need to look that if you have a plinth, the plinth will stop where the freestanding unit starts but i didn't mind.(i didn't bother with a kitchendoor front for the dishwasher)
i did it myself and thought it was pretty easy and self explanatory.

not sure whether you can just screw a door back on to a washing machine though.
Wednesday 1 March 2006 8.57am
I've always found John Lewis excellent. They arrive when they say they will, take the old one away and for a small charge plumb the new stuff in. I'm not sure that integrated ones cost 300 more than standard ones but I quite like the white or silver fronts to these machines so never saw the point of hiding them behind a piece or laminated wood. We had integrated Zanussi washer and Whirlpool dishwasher and now have standard AEG stuff which is more expensive but well worth the extra. If you're going to DIY one word of advice would be to make sure the waste pipe is not kinked when you push the machines into place.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 1 March 2006 9.11am
I think John Lewis may be getting the business. Thanks bmovie!
Thursday 2 March 2006 7.12pm
i personally would not recommend an integrated dishwasher/washing machine.
definitely go with two separate machines.

that said, if you have crockery that doesn't break, ...
Friday 3 March 2006 8.54am
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with JonR - my AEG oki-koki 2148GB intregrated dishwasher/washing machine/dryer saves so much time. It washes 6kg (dry weight) of clothes along with a full 8 place setting dinner service. The only slight disadvantage is that AEG recommend that you don't use fabric softener as it weakens the tensile strength of steak knives.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 8.56pm
Greetings! You can replace one incorporated machine on two independent. It is necessary to put a tee on cold water to connect at once two machines.
Friday 10 March 2006 8.01pm
Sounds like you need to use the fabric softener on the steak, if you're needing extra-strong steak knives!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: