Inside Millennium Mills

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 2 March 2006 12.03am
This is one of the last 'classic' mill buildings left in London, at Victoria Dock, facing the ExCeL exhibition centre.

It's been a fascination of mine ever since I rediscovered it riding the DLR, having first seen it back in '88 when I was at Jean Michelle Jarre's Destination Docklands Concert. A year or so on, some friends and I decided we had to see it from the inside. It took some planning, and some great care when were in there - the place is full of holes and assorted other lethal hazards. In all we spent 6 hours in there and covered about 80% of the building. The views from the roof were something else. It's a true monster.

For those of you interested in industrial buildings, here's the gallery... hope you enjoy them as much as we did poking around.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulholmes/sets/72057594070422686/
Thursday 2 March 2006 10.27am
i'd love to see the photos Paul, am at work now, but was denied access saying it was a restricted site..is it only buildings or is there something else on it?...:-)
Thursday 2 March 2006 11.58am
Wow! It looks like an amazing building and some of the pictures are fantastic. I'm very jealous of your visit. Although it did make me imagine an episode of the Bill or something where a harmless trip turns into disaster when one of you falls throguh the ceiling or the door gets jammed and you're trapped on the roof!
Thursday 2 March 2006 10.41pm
Thank you for those.
Thursday 2 March 2006 10.42pm
Flick wrote:
Wow! It looks like an amazing building and some of the pictures are fantastic. I'm very jealous of your visit. Although it did make me imagine an episode of the Bill or something where a harmless trip turns into disaster when one of you falls throguh the ceiling or the door gets jammed and you're trapped on the roof!

The building is a beaut, and massive. Probably more an episode of Casualty rather than the Bill!

It's not an activity to take lightly. For basic problems we have a first aid kit + trained person on the team. Plus water, food, various equipment. For really bad scenarios it would be a mobile call to the emergency services - although, if only out of "professional pride" we wouldn't want to be so careless as to be wasting public resources to get us out of a fix from our jollies.

Depending on the environment we might take helmets, respirators, whatever is appropriate. It's not "mucking around in buildings"... but the after trip beers do fill us with a great sense of mischief well done. :)

Jan... no, there's nothing rude in the pics... or indeed the flickr site (they are very good at keeping potentially offensive stuff completely off). Maybe it's filtered because it's a purely "leisure interest" site?
Friday 3 March 2006 6.09am
Excellent photos. Now's the time to reserve the penthouse with whoever is going to develop. By the
time it's converted you'll treble your money.
I hate getting up at 6am -- it's b***** freezing.
Saturday 11 March 2006 11.09am
Yes I'm jealous of your trip too, I love places like that. A lot of this area had that sort of atmosphere when I first moved here, though no individual buildings quite the size of Millenium Mills. Nice to have a permanent and reminder in the form of the photo gallery.
Saturday 11 March 2006 7.54pm
what are they going to do with it? and who owns it?

www.promomat.biz - affordable wooden dolls houses with furniture and dolls, pirate ships and educational board game. Been caught out with forged notes we have the solution Check-a-Note counterfeit money detector - we found it so effective that we decided to become resellers. Even used by the House of Lords!
Tuesday 14 March 2006 2.40pm
I just memorised that address and will have a look tonight.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: