Oyster Card Refunds

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 20 March 2006 11.53pm
This site is a brilliant place for solving problems. Here is a new one to test you.

A colleague has been desperately ill. Three months in hospital and three months recuperation. She was wheeled in as an emergency and in intensive care for quite a while.

When she back home and had started to feel a bit better she turned her mind to the fact that she had an annual season ticket on her Oyster card and had not used most of it. So how about a refund for the portion she had not used.......

Er...not so easy. You need to return the card with some sort of form within about 5 working days of ceasing to use it. Even if you have more important things on your mind, like not dying. She, unfortunately, has plenty of doctors notes to prove that this was the case.

Er ...dosen't matter. Rules is rules. And three months later no progress has been made.

She obviously does not want to pay for a service she has not used. And feels that she asked for the reclaim as soon as she was ready to focus on that sort of stuff.

So what can she do. I am not sure if there is commission for anyone who comes up with a tactic that works. But I personally think the TfL response is awful and would love to see the issue resolved.

Sarah
Tuesday 21 March 2006 9.04am
If she is going to be able to use public transport, the least TfL could do is extend the pass by the length of time she has been unable to use it.

The process of getting cash refunds seems to be made so cumbersome sometimes that I think some organisations rely on people either not bothering to try, or just giving up. In these circumstances it seems to be necessary to somehow shame them into being reasonable!
Tuesday 21 March 2006 9.26am
Past experience, you don't get a full refund, because they take an administration charge of about 20/30 quid to cover the cost of the refund.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: