PestTrap - is it spyware?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 9 April 2006 9.44am
Hi, i think i have a pc problem.

i've just turned on my pc, and i have a new icon on the tray which is a green wheelchair and a red crossed circle (alternating). I also keep getting messages popping up on my screen telling me that my pc is infected. if i click on this i go to a website for PestTrap, which i've searched for and it appears that Pest trap is spyware itself!

Also i'm getting a program called Spyware Quake 2.0 automatically searching for viruses on my comp.

Aaarrrggh!

don't know how to get rid of it all, or where it all comes from, or if any/or all of it is real stuff to protect my pc or stuff created to infect my pc, and steal my privacy, and bank details, and all my money!!!

I have AVG free software installed, which doesn't pick up any viruses.
i'm on Wanadoo broadband.

Can anyone help?
Sunday 9 April 2006 9.50am
and my home page is no longer Wanadoo.com, it just goes 'about:blank'

and previously my pc was shutting down slowly.
Sunday 9 April 2006 11.05am
Jon R

If you Google the following: < "pest trap" +spyware > one of the hits is

http://www.spywareremove.com/removePestTrap.html

which goesz on to state that: "PestTrap is a rogue anti-spyware application. PestTrap may note harmless software as threats in an attempt to have you purchase PestTrap's full version to remove these harmless programs. PestTrap may also automatically launch at your computer's startup and scan your computer. PestTrap may be knowingly downloaded and installed by users, and it may be installed without permission through browser exploits."

Then there are instructions on how to remove it.

Alternatively, you could buy a MacMini which would probably cost you less in the long run.

Niall
Sunday 9 April 2006 11.35am
thanks Nial.

so is the little green wheelchair something that is sytem generated, or is that something that i don't want?

It appears that I don't have PestTrap, but i keep getting SpyWare Quake 2.0 appearing without me wanting it.

it would appear that some setting somewhere have been changed as IE no longer recognises my normal homepage, and goes to some serity settings website, and i'm open to pop ups when connected to broadband but not using internet.

how do i stop that?
Sunday 9 April 2006 11.56am
Can you connect to the internet ? Assume so, as you're posting here.

Download a fantastic free program called Spybot from http://www.safer-networking.org/ (but please make a donation if it helps you out !)

Install, run it and it should sort out the spyware.

In the advanced tab, under Tools, there is a setting called IE Settings, which will help you reset IE homepage if it's been hijacked by spyware.
Sunday 9 April 2006 3.05pm
all working again now, thanks.
Thanks Siduhe for help.
i managed to find some fora with detailed manual deletion explanations, and after doing these it seems to have cured problem.

Hurrah!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: