Weather forecasts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 14 April 2006 10.27am
The BBCs weather web site right now states that there is a full sun in the sky over London. Liars!

Their forecasts always seem so far out - anyone know of any other decent weather sites?
Friday 14 April 2006 12.02pm
I am glad you mention this, as I saw the same thing this morning and this happens very often. I have not been able to find a better weather website.
Friday 14 April 2006 9.37pm
Well they were right for later on, its only the morning that was dreary.
Friday 14 April 2006 9.47pm
Personally I like charts with isobars and fronts, but if you like ones with symbols and words, this one is simple but not too bad:

I think the trick is in the interpretation. Never believe a forecast that tells you exactly what is happening exactly where and exactly when. I think the models get the general picture pretty well right, but often err with the exact timing or location. So the way I use weather forecasts is to look at the broad picture over a wider area and longer length of time, then allow for certain events to be slightly earlier or later than forecast or missing us entirely because a particular feature went slightly to the North or West or whatever. Does that make any sense?
Saturday 15 April 2006 1.57am
I use the Met Office site but it's hilarious - I'll check it at Midnight and see that we're going to be applying Factor 50, when I get up seven hours later - it's raining stair-rods and sure enough, the site has updated to reflect this. Superb stuff.
Saturday 15 April 2006 2.40pm
I've swtiched to using the lightbox on the Tabard Tower now...

But I find the rainfall animation on the met office website very useful (and more useful than it used to be now that it shows shots every 30 minutes). Tracking the rain over the past few hours gives you a very good idea whether the next couple of hours are going to be wet or dry should that have a big impact on your plans.
Sunday 16 April 2006 10.18am
I was based at the Met Office in Bracknell in the early days that that animation was developed, and I used to use it to decide when was a good time to cycle home. It won't surprise you to know that I often got wet.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: