probation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 20 April 2006 8.18pm
Am I missing something...
What's all this debate about stricter probation monitoring of dangerous offenders.
Surely if the authorities know that they are dangerous and likely to commit serious crimes if they are released on probation, surely the obvious thing to do to protect the public, is to keep them locked up and not release them on probation.
Friday 21 April 2006 7.46am
I just want to know why a paedophile who repeatedly rapes a child of nine over a lengthy period only gets a fixed term of 5 years 7 months...he was also on probation..

I dont know how a single probation officer sitting in his office with a ' client ' for the statutory 15 or 30 minutes a week can possibly keep his ' client ' out of trouble. And to be fair a probation officer would be an easy target if his/her comments resulted in offender being returned to prison.

I would also like the term ' manslaughter' redefined....if you jump on someones head twenty times and leave your trainer imprints on their heads or trunk, your intending to do them permanent harm. Manslaughter I always thought was the death of a person without intent. Several years ago a young boxer punched his ex girlfriends new boyfriend and the poor lad died, that's manslaughter a single punch.

If we need new prisons build them. Lets protect the people of this country instead or going to war and bombing innocents. blimey this is getting 'eavy for arf seven in the morning!
Friday 21 April 2006 11.51am
How about giving all prisoners that commit a crime, that justifies a prison sentance, an automatic life sentance. They will only be released when it is certain that they will no longer commit any serious crimes if they are released.
If they are released and go on to commit a serious crime, they will go back to prison, but the person/s responsible for allowing their release will also go to prison for a matching sentance. I'm sure that will deter dangerous criminals being relased too early, and the people responsible for their release will also think twice before allowing them back into society.
Friday 21 April 2006 12.27pm
sounds good...
ADT
Friday 21 April 2006 3.33pm
...but who is going to pay for it? Our prisons are already crowded - depending on who you believe, they may even be close to maximum capacity. Longer prison sentences would need more capacity = expensive new buildings/facilities, and prisoners already cost the tax payer a large amount to keep fed watered and locked up.
Friday 21 April 2006 8.03pm
The government found the money to pay for the Iraq war, so I am sure they can easily find enough money to pay for more prisons. Yes, it does cost a lot to keep prisoners fed and watered, but at least the public are protected from them while they are locked up. How many victims have been murdered recently by people who should not have been walking the streets. It's time we put the rights of the general public before the rights of the criminals. If the criminals are still considered dangerous and a threat to the public after they have completed their sentence they should continue to be imprisoned and not be released.
Monday 24 April 2006 7.49am
Find an island somehwere, preferably somewhere cold...give them basic shelter, clothing, a small holding where they can grow veg....a few chickens...drop in medical supplies by plane...leave them there for at least fifteen years....a hundred if they are paedophiles or murderers of children.....that would solve the new prison problem. If life was that simple....:-(
Wednesday 26 April 2006 9.43am
Blimey, has the SE1 website been subverted by Paul Dacre and the rest of the Daily Mail gang?

Any fair and humane society has to take a responsible approach to how it deals with criminals. "Locking up and throwing away the key" only breeds further resentment amongst the prisoners, who will one day be released and do further harm once they are released.

The point of community orders (versus custodial sentencing) is to somehow re-habilitate the offender back into society so that ultimately they may live a normal life with less risk of re-offending. Re-offending rates amonst those who've gone through a community (ie. probation-led) programme are much less than those that go through the more harsh prison regimes. To turn Michael Howard's famous speech on it's head: "Prison doesn't work!"

An interesting link:
http://www.civitas.org.uk/data/prisonRisk1950-2000.php

A fascinating book was published by The Guardian a couple of years back by Erwin James: A Life Inside. For several years, Erwin wrote a column in the paper about the experiences of serving a life sentence, and ultimately going through a rehabilitation programme to reintroduce him to society.
Wednesday 26 April 2006 10.05am
Martin...lots of people are in prison for lengthy terms....despite never harming physically or murdering anyone...I'm with you on that one...but when it comes to unrealistic sentences passed on rapists, murderers, paedaphiles, then it's different.

If someone said years ago good behaviour is the rent that we pay to live freely in society....some people are in arrears!
Saturday 29 April 2006 9.35pm
Martin...Any fair and humane society has to take a responsible approach to how it deals with criminals. Why ???
Why should they deserve any more fair and humane treatment than they showed to their victims.
Locking up and throwing away the key" only breeds further resentment amongst the prisoners, who will one day be released and do further harm once they are released. ???
If they are going to do further harm if released then the answer is simple. Do not release them.
"Prison doesn't work!" ?????
How many prisoners have carried out further serious crimes against society while locked in their cell.
Its simple. If they are still a threat to society then don't release them.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: