Etiquette for tipping hairdressers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 4 May 2006 3.03pm
I've recently moved to London and wonder what the etiquette is like for tipping hairdressers? I usually go to training salons (like Vidal Sasoon) but recently saw a voucher on LondonCareers magazine for a 10 hair cut introductory offer at one of the RUSH salons. If I go to such places for "cheap" haircuts.... how much do I tip? Oh, and how do I make the tipping process less awkward? I always feel funny when I tip someone :p Thanks :)
Thursday 4 May 2006 4.04pm
I've been to Tony and Guy for a free hair cut, but I gave a 10 tip, becuase they are still training they dont get paid, so it makes there day when they do get a nice tip for doing a good job. Normal hairdressers i tend to tip 3-5.
Thursday 4 May 2006 5.47pm
IMHO a good rule of thumb is around 12%, perhaps split between the stylist and colourist and a few quid for the junior who washes your hair. Tips in salons are usually kept by the person you tip and not split amongst all staff so it is important you seek out the people directly involved. Don't feel funny about tipping, it's really appreciated by the individuals and a warm reception will await you on your next visit!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: