pc help...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 9 May 2006 10.37am
as one of the old crumblies and my computer knowledge is restricted to e-mail and the net and of course my beloved se1.....my old dinosaur of a p.c. has finally had it....what is the best and cheapest one currently on the market....daughter phoned dell and spoke to someone who was not familiar with the english tongue and only offered three months guarantee.

All you youngsters out there are much more clued up....where is the best place to start where i wont be bamboozled with jargon ? :-)
Tuesday 9 May 2006 11.22am
i bought mine at PC World OKR, they were really helpful and have a help line you can call 24 hrs a day.
Tuesday 9 May 2006 11.48am
brilliants thank you pops..:-)
Tuesday 9 May 2006 1.16pm
I think you can't beat Dell for value and reliability; look at the daily offers they have in Metro and other papers. Most are free delivery too.

Sorry, but in my experience in dealing with PC World most of the staff didn't know much of what they were talking about.
Tuesday 9 May 2006 1.39pm
In also heard that with PC world it is cheaper to order over the internet and then pick the stuff up in store, than to buy it in the store itself.
Wednesday 10 May 2006 5.57pm
Jtoo

Have a look at a MacMini. Can be used with any flat screen. Small. Doesn't need any Microsoft products. Latest version will run Windows (if anyone would want to, given the choice).

Alternatively, have a look on eBay for a Mac G3 Powerbook, the Pismo would be the model to get. If you are only doing email, web-browsing, letter writing etc etc then this will be perfect and available for around 275ish.

Have a look at MacDaddy or 2ndChancePC. Few people can utilise the power of todays Macs/PCs so a good 2nd hand one makes sense. It also won't depreciate like a Dell.

Regards

Niall
Wednesday 10 May 2006 6.40pm
I've had this Dell computer for 4 years with no problems.
Guarantees are usually for 1 years, it might be 3 months support that you are talking about.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: