Magpies

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 9 May 2006 12.27pm
I saw two magpies "dive bombing" a cat this morning. Persistently. The cat just let them - didn't attempt to fight back or chase them away. The magpies were cackling whilst carrying out this attack.

Is that odd? I've never seen anything like it.
Tuesday 9 May 2006 12.45pm
Could it have been a Magpie cat ? [So called because they like hiding shiny objects under things like sofas] They're also known as Munchkin cats because of their short, stumpy little legs...

TPIC for the avoidance of all doubt
Anonymous User
Tuesday 9 May 2006 12.47pm
No! Just a regular moggie. I considered attempting to scare the magpies away but wanted to avoid a Hitchcock-esque walk to the bus stop!
Tuesday 9 May 2006 12.51pm
[more seriously] If there were two magpies, they were probably nesting nearby and thought the cat was a threat...the cackling certainly sounds like they were trying to frighten it off.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 9 May 2006 12.53pm
Frightened me off for sure!

My mum used to scare Magpies away by rattling a wooden spoon in a saucepan.

She could just be mental!
Tuesday 9 May 2006 1.44pm
Does the spoon have to be wooden? WE SHOULD BE TOLD!!!!

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 9 May 2006 1.47pm
IT DOES HAVE TO BE WOODEN

A metal spoon will scare other birds too. Only the magpies leg it if you use a wooden spoon.
Tuesday 9 May 2006 3.53pm
THANKS!

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 9 May 2006 3.58pm
MY PLEASURE
Tuesday 9 May 2006 4.40pm
Remember how A&E used to be crowded out with small boys who had managed to get their heads stuck in saucepans (or vice versa) - then there were the small boys (always small boys) who got their heads stuck in railings. Did the advent of the microwave and the 'railings' campain of Lord Beaverbrook end these mishaps?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: