Smithfield Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 18 May 2006 2.06pm
According to todays Indipendent The corporation of london have given the go ahead for the glass and steel office building on the general market.
any one that thinks this should be called in for a public inquiry should right to the secretary of state Ruth Kelly,
better or wors than John presscot we shall see.
Thursday 18 May 2006 2.58pm
I cant see why it should not be built, it looks ok and will enhance the market thats there. The building has not been used for over 10 years. The tunnels beneath the building need to repaired so one way or another it will have to come down.
Thursday 18 May 2006 3.41pm
have the designs changed.
Thursday 18 May 2006 4.12pm
I think it's a great shame. I'm not convinced by the argument that the buildings have to be demolished in order to repair the tunnels.
Friday 19 May 2006 8.03am
There is only one building to be demolished and that's the one on Farringdon Street, its has not been used for over 10 years.
"Demolition of the existing building and other structures and the erection of a new building to comprise office (B1), retail/market (A1, A2, A3, A4 and A5) uses with associated railway engineering works, car parking, servicing, pedestrian and vehicular routes. (44,474 sq.m)".
This is the second scheme to be submitted, the original one included "the red house" which is block on the island at Snow Hill which is now listed.
Friday 19 May 2006 6.19pm
Horace Jones' General Market isn't great architecture, but at least it is on a human scale and provides a break in the canyon of phenomenally bad and mediocre office architecture (from the 1950s to the 1990s) that lines Farringdon Street.

And I've not seen any evidence don't think the tunnels are actually in danger of collapse. Wasn't it just that the former Snow Hill goods station is an integral part of the foundations of the market above, and the floors couldn't take the loading of modern 44 tonne trucks on the narrow roadways between the market buildings.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: