Syd Barrett

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 11 July 2006 11.52pm
I was standing in a little street off Piccadilly tonight, reading the Evening Standard (in desperation, as I'd just finished a book and had nothing else to read). A couple walked past me, and the bloke turned round and shouted, "Is he dead? Is he dead?" I assumed he was a nutter and ignored him. The next thing I knew the paper was pulled out of my hands and the bloke said, "S**t, he is dead. Syd Barrett's dead." Then he started crying.

I'd never even heard of Syd Barrett.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 12 July 2006 7.44am
Do you make a habit of standing in little streets off Piccadilly?
Wednesday 12 July 2006 8.23am
Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dies

By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - Syd Barrett, the troubled Pink Floyd co-founder who spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

A spokeswoman for the band said Barrett died several days ago, but she did not disclose the cause of death. Barrett had suffered from diabetes for years.

[snip - please don't quote when a link will suffice]
Wednesday 12 July 2006 9.38am
Syd Barrett provided the soundtrack to a summer for me over 20 years ago.

There are a couple of lines from his songs that still pop into my head quite frequently so in some respect he had a bit of an influence on my life, or at least I'm aware of him on an ongoing basis. If you've never heard of him see if you can pick up Barrett or The Madcap Laughs, I think there's a double pack pretty cheap. They're not very polished but are guaranteed (by me!) to put a smile on your face..
Wednesday 12 July 2006 10.13am
Quote:
i think there's a double pack pretty cheap

there may have been last week, but it's probably going for top dollar now...
Wednesday 12 July 2006 10.46am
TLMJJ,
I don't believe you.

I have fond memories of buying a MfP album from Wollies, with tracks like "I've go a bike, you can ride it if you like". One of the first records I ever bought, and played to death on a very sixties stylish record player.

Seminal stuff. (I don't think I have ever used the word seminal in a sentence before.) Then my first serious boyfriend sang the lyrics of "The hangmans beautiful daughter" - not Pink Flyod but I cant remember who, acapapella to me. I thought it was so romantic.

One of my best friends at college introduced himself by announcing he was a member of the Syd Barrett fan club. I thought that was a seriously cool way to say hello.

Sarah
Anonymous User
Wednesday 12 July 2006 10.54am
I once bought an LP by The Purple Gang which was a Syd Barrett band (admittedly I only bought it becuase I liked the sleeve) which contained such gems as "Granny Takes a Trip".

Absolute rubbish.
Wednesday 12 July 2006 11.46am
The Sarah - I think the Hangman's Beautiful Daughter was by the Incredible String Band. Syd Barrett wrote 'See Emily Play' and most of the best early tunes by The Who.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Wednesday 12 July 2006 3.45pm
There is a nice article on him in the Times online today.
Wednesday 12 July 2006 3.59pm
My memory is much dodgier than yours, I don't remember Syd Barrett making records with The Purple Gang, and I don't remember him writing any of The Who's early stuff either.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dollboy.co.uk/harmonium/barkyhead/index.htm
not a holiday flat
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: