Wedding reading

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 31 July 2006 9.30pm
I have been asked to read at my friends' wedding later this year. It's a civil wedding, so no biblical verses are allowed, nor any texts with any religious references.

In addition, it should be touching, but not overly sentimental, and preferably not too much of a cliche.

And, because I don't relish public speaking, it should be reasonably short, and easy to read.

Any suggestions?
Monday 31 July 2006 10.29pm
Sounds a bit odd, but the couple of times I've heard "Us Two" from Winnie the Pooh at weddings, I've really enjoyed it:

"Wherever I am, there's always Pooh; there's always Pooh and me. Whatever I do, he wants to do, "where are you going today?" says Pooh... "Well, that's very odd 'cos I was too.

"Let's go together," says Pooh, says he. "Let's go together", says Pooh. "What's twice eleven?" I said to Pooh, "Twice what?" said Pooh to Me. "I think it ought to be twenty two", "Just what I think myself," said Pooh. "It wasn't an easy sum to do, But that's what it is," said Pooh, said he. "That's what it is," said Pooh.

"Let's look for the dragons," I said to Pooh. "Yes, let's," said Pooh to Me. We crossed the river and found a few... "Yes those are dragons all right," said Pooh. "As soon as I saw their beaks I knew. That's what they are," said Pooh, said he. "That's what they are," said Pooh.

"Let's frighten the dragons," I said to Pooh. "That's right," said Pooh to Me. "I'm not afraid," I said to Pooh, And held his paw and shouted "Shoo! Silly old dragons!" and off they flew. "I wasn't afraid," said Pooh, said he, "I'm never afraid with you."

So wherever I am, there's always Pooh; there's always Pooh and me. "What would I do?" I said to Pooh, "If it wasn't for you," and Pooh said... "True, It isn't much fun for One, but Two can stick together," says Pooh, says he. "That's how it is," says Pooh.
Anonymous User
Monday 31 July 2006 10.33pm
Great minds think alike - I was just talking to TLMJJ & suggested that!
Monday 31 July 2006 10.45pm
It's sweet, but another friend had that reading at her wedding, so it's a no-no.

Thank you, though. :D
Tuesday 1 August 2006 7.27am
They Met...They Loved....They Wed...

well they say brevity is the soul of wit!

It is a difficult thing to do give a speech at a wedding, rather you than me love....
Tuesday 1 August 2006 9.21am
There is a bit in Captain Corelli's Mandolin that starts "love is a temporary madness", which is pretty good, and short. A google search will find you several versions on quotation sites.
Tuesday 1 August 2006 10.42am
Minijac read the Owl and the Pussy Cat at a friends wedding. Their choice not his it actually rather nice.
Tuesday 1 August 2006 10.56pm
my brothers speach at his own wedding was quite funny, and short. I can't recall it exactly but it went something like:

"i wasn't going to make a speach, but Hilary told me i had to. Someone told me that i no longer have to listen to anything she says, as there's no point in two people remembering exactly the same things"
Wednesday 2 August 2006 12.41pm
I have a book - The Oxford Book of Marriage' - full of readings etc - you are welcome to peruse at your leisure - PM me if you want to pop by to pick it up! Am on Long Lane ...
Wednesday 9 August 2006 2.10pm
Julie - did you get my PM?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: