Question about Law St. Community

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 August 2006 5.55pm
Someone wrote to me to buy my artwork and have it shipped to Capetown. Upon questioning, she gave her address as Paynes place, Law St, Eltham, London. she said she's moving. I noticed on the internet that Law St seems to have a lot of businesses. Can anyone tell me if this is possibly a residence? I'd hate to send my artwork out if this is a scam. If it's legit, great. Thanks.

Wednesday 16 August 2006 6.10pm
There is a Law Street in London SE1, which contains several residential blocks, but we are nowhere near Eltham.

I cannot find a record of a street or block called Paynes Place in either location in the Royal Mail postcode list.

I wouldn't part with your artwork until you have received cash or cleared funds in your bank account.
Thursday 17 August 2006 9.35am
And if they say a friend will be paying, but it's with a cheque, draft or money order for more than you're charging and would you mind sending the change to them, then it's definitely a scam. Esepcially if there is any sense of urgency in the transaction - you need to leave a lot of time for payments to clear to stop those nasty banks reclaiming it later - I though I'd sold some toys to someone online for 200, then they started discussing a 2,000 euro cheque that would be involved...

And don't trust the banks' normal "4 days" to mean cleared funds - better yet insist on travellers cheques or Paypal or BidPay or Western Union or something that is as good as cash and can't be bounced. Even bank drafts need to be treated with caution... Cash by courier delivery even... if she's only in Eltham, cash might be reasonable to ask from someone you don't know...

Don't be scared, just be sensibly cautious!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: