New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 43 of 45
Tuesday 7 July 2015 5.10pm
Hello - what a great forum! I am Elizabeth - was born at the General Lying In Hospital in Lambeth and grew up in New Cross (sorry..)! My mum was born at 865 Old Kent Road and her parents ran the electrical shop there. They lived above the shop. I am tracing the family tree at the moment. Mum's dad grew up in Stepney. I am keen to find out what else was next door to their shop. Through the years I have met people who remember going in for a light bulb or a plug! I think the shop closed in the late 50s or early 60s to make way for the flats that are on that site now. I went to school in New Cross and lived around that area for a long while. I now live in Scotland - sure do miss SE1, SE14 and New Cross Gate/Millwall area. I think my nan tried to keep the shop going in the 1950s and sold some toys but it sounded a bit desperate - her husband had died in 1942, and it was hard going. if anyone can remember that far back, I would love to hear any tiny memories. Thank you very much - my love to the Old Kent Road.
Sunday 30 August 2015 7.55pm
Hi All.Just found this site,brilliant !! I lived in this area until 1966 when I joined the Army,and never went back.I well remember the pubs in question,Canterbury Arms,Tavern,little wonder,Bramcote,and also The Sandford Tavern.I went there a couple of years ago,didnt know where I was,Great memories of growing up,aii bomb sites.Went to the church opp the tavern,changed to a sweet warehouse then to an Indian place of worship,also went to Ilderton road school,closely followed by Credon road.Could go on for ever.
Sunday 11 October 2015 9.25am
Hi my name is John I lived in the borough in the 70s I have been visiting the area lately trying to locate people I knew but no with luck any help would be great thanks
Monday 12 October 2015 11.29am
Hi,my name is Fred.Live in Southampton,but was brought up on Old Kent Road.Lived in Hornshay street,off Ilderton road right outside New Cross Stadium (Millwall football ground )I married a girl from Haddonhall street,off Tower Bridge Rd.Joined the Army in 1966,and left in 1978,after seeing half the world,great experience and would not swap it for anything.The house where I was living along with the rest of the area was pulled down in 198,and I never went back.but great memories of a good childhood,and friends.The Bygraves,Jenricks,Ilderton rd school,and Credon,sadly no longer there.If theres anyone out there,please get in touch.
Sunday 18 October 2015 5.27pm
Ernest Bridger was my Grandad who sadly died during the war so I sadly didnt get to meet him. He had 2 sisters Jean and Doreen and a brother called Arthur who was killed by a crate of oranges hitting him on the head while he was on surrey docks collecting forcharity.Grandad worked in the office on Bellamys wharf until he won the football pools and bought the Bramcott pub inBramcott Grove. They lived in Ilderton Rd until their home was destroyed by a bomb close by. My mother was buried for 10hours only being saved by the ARP warden who wouldnt leave her. That was on the 6.9.1940. My Mum Jean was the middle child of three girls the otherss being Doreen and Eunice. She said she went to a school in the same street near to a bridge? She said she had cousins called Pullen and Grubb but she lost touch with them after being evacuated to Aylesbury and then onto St Marys Cray later on. Mums 83 now and she would like to know more about her Dad so if anyone can help me find any information about him, his work, or can direct me to some photos it would be greatly appreciated by my Mum.She was only 10 when he died and it was only 2 years ago her sister gave her a photo of him.......There was a lady on here called Jan the Old One. She must be about the sameage as she mentioned a few places, Sarsons, Hartly, Peak Freens and of course Manzies that Mum still talks about!!! I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.Thanks in advance and wishing everyone a good sunday. Jane x
Saturday 30 January 2016 11.39am
Hi all,

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Susie and I've been happily working in the Waterloo area for the last year. I'm a yoga teacher and mindfulness trainer so have been doing my best to offer some well-being and stress reduction to residents and workers in the area. It's been a busy year so I'm still getting to know the area but absolutely love it and am looking forward to getting to know the london-SE1 community better.

This year I'm starting to offer a lot more courses so am looking forward to finding out about other local businesses that I can make links with e.g. for support with marketing/advertising or collaboration.

I look forward to chatting in the future.

Susie
Monday 22 February 2016 6.36pm
Hi everyone

I live in Nelson Square in Blackfriars and have been living in the area since 1985. My family are from Southwark too and we can trace our ancestors back about 100 years.

My Mum has lots of memories about the Blackfriars/Waterloo area, having worked at Charles Letts in the Borough and an ice cream factory in Stamford Street.

Nothing as exciting for me, I invigilate exams at a few SE1 locations!
Sunday 6 March 2016 3.34pm
not sure if i am doing the right thing here .
am a south london lad born and bred and not long moved back to the area
looking for some contacts who might be able to help with some private work.
am a city and guilds qualified decorator who is available at the moment to start
Ray
07927 239 023
Friday 8 April 2016 10.08pm
This was my granddad
Monday 11 April 2016 9.32am
Hi everyone! Iím not new to the forum. Iíve been here for some time now, but I have just plucked up my courage and will start some active participation!:)
Current: 43 of 45

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: