Adult careers guidance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 3 October 2006 12.28pm
Has anyone had any experience of good careers guidance for adults please?

Advice on changing jobs, advice on what work suits which skillsets, anything like that would be great.

Thanks

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 3 October 2006 3.29pm
Ivanhoe, have you looked at workthing.com?

They have links to consultancies working in this field though i think that's quite an expensive road to go down.

Are you looking to change careers or just sectors? Have you thought about approaching a head hunter or similar who may be able to advise you free of charge?

Do you have an ideal career in your mind which you could work backwards from & work out how to attain?

Coincidentally I lloked at a change of career earlier this year but realised that I couldn't do it whilst supporting my present champagne lifestyle ;-)
Tuesday 3 October 2006 4.01pm
Thanks Birdie.

Any more ideas, please keep them coming.

Anonymous User
Tuesday 3 October 2006 4.03pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Thanks Birdie.
Any more ideas, please keep them coming.

Any ideas on what you want to do?
Tuesday 3 October 2006 4.09pm
Not sure if it will work, but have you tried the local colleges that do courses for mature students?
Tuesday 3 October 2006 4.11pm
have you tried Citizens Advice Bureau, Army Careers, JobCentre Plus?

all three of these have websites, and will probably give consultation.

When i was made redundant my previous company hired the expertese, and time of a company which 'managed change' and they asked me:
"do i need a new job straight away, or can i afford to spend some time not being in work, looking for something else?"

essentially, if you need to be in work again very quickly (to pay bills etc), they suggested that i rewrite my cv, showing my previous employment, and what skill it gave me, and then applying for the same kinds of jobs, but in different companies. ie concentrate on jobs done, and be job specific - as it's easier to get another job doing the same thing that you're already doing and good at.

However, they said that if i wanted a change of career, and direction, then i should rewrite my cv, and concentrate on the skills, and competancies that i have, write a long paragraph about what i can do, and only include work experience in brief form later on, and then send that out to companies that i'd like to work for, but as an open letter, asking if they have any jobs available that would suit someone with the skills outlined - ie be skill specific, not job specific, and aim at companies you'd like to work for, not jobs you'd like to do.

hope this helps.

have you thought about self employement? buying an orchard maybe - how about buying Potters Fields and turning it into a City Farm?
Tuesday 3 October 2006 4.55pm
Career consultants and life coaches can be quite expensive, but everyone I know who has used them has spoken well of the experience.

By way of encouragement, I changed from one career to do postgrad study and part-time work a year ago and although considerably poorer, I am considerably happier. :o)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 3 October 2006 7.28pm
Thanks.

Not sure what I want to do. I think I need someone to help me with exactly that.

Tuesday 3 October 2006 8.37pm
In my experience it also takes quite a bit of time to work out what to do for the next x years of your life. Not something which can be worked out in between CSI and Newsnight on the back of a fag packet. Takes time and a bit of peace and quiet. Maybe take some time off and go and stay in a guesthouse by the sea for a week - long walks by yourself on a windy beach etc...

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 3 October 2006 8.54pm
I also did this a few yrs ago and went to South America for a few months. Decided I really wanted to be a primary school teacher, and now I've just started at uni in Cambridge doing the course. Am definitely poorer but much happier.
Good luck!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: