Nuts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 2 November 2006 3.22pm
What's you favourite? I personally go for a macadamia. To me, that is the king/queen of all nuts! closely followed by the cashew and pistachio!
Thursday 2 November 2006 3.26pm
Walnuts - great pickled!
Thursday 2 November 2006 3.47pm
Its the season for wet walnuts. I noticed some last week. Nice, but different if you have not tried them before.
Thursday 2 November 2006 7.30pm
Cob nuts....followed closely by cashews...
Thursday 2 November 2006 9.19pm
Is that the same as ripe walnuts, Sarah? They do a delicious dessert of ripe walnuts with honey and clotted cream in Ev.
Friday 3 November 2006 9.57am
Wet walnuts...??? I'm intrigued as I've never heard of them. Where do you get these?
Not sure if it's technically a nut but water chestnuts are very good. You get them from oriental stores and they look like conkers. You peel them and they taste nothing like you get in a Chinese take-away. Apparently they are good for mouth ulcers too - so the women in the shop told me!
Friday 3 November 2006 2.12pm
Wet walnuts are just fresh ordinary walnuts. They are only around at this time of year. They have a distinctly different taste to ordinary ones. A bit like the beech nuts I used to eat as a kid. They also taste like the walnuts you get around the edge of a particular French cheese.

They seem like a bit of a London tradition. The fruit and veg stall at Tatchbrook St market in Pimlico always has them. (Just confirming I shop in SW1 rather than SE1!)But I would expect Borough Market to have them as well.
Friday 3 November 2006 6.25pm
Greengrocers on Gt Suffolk St has wet walnuts (ooo-er)

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: