Mulled wine

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 3 November 2006 12.24pm
Yes the cold weather is here and thoughts immediately turn to another excuse to drink!

years ago I had home made mulled wine with cinnamon and ginger in ( amongst other things) and it was really nice but i am not sure of quantities etc to put in does anybody know or have any other "secret ingredients". Also what is the best red wine to use?
Friday 3 November 2006 8.06pm
I buy those big tea-bag looking mulled wine ingredients thingies.

I then buy the cheapest red plonk I can find that has the highest alcohol content.

Introduce the wine and tea-bag thingy to a hot pan for 5 mins - job done!
Friday 3 November 2006 11.16pm
Ikea sell good mulled wine with all the ingredients!
Saturday 4 November 2006 10.04am
I normally make it with the M&S beaujolais which is about 3.99 a bottle.
Put into pan, heat up and I normally put about 3 cinammon sticks in- if you use powdered cinammon it leaves a nasty residue.
Grated ginger, and a couple of cloves, and some brown sugar. I also add a bit of orange juice to mine. No proper measuring, I just taste it as I go along!
Saturday 4 November 2006 2.49pm
Do Sainsbury's still sell their "French Red Wine" in 1.5l plastic bottles? It worked out at the same price per litre as their cheapest wine box, but gave surprisingly good results when mulled with a bit of dash of cooking brandy thrown into the mix.
Saturday 4 November 2006 5.26pm
My favourite mulled wine recipe
1 orange per 2 bottles of red
6 cloves per 2 bottles
whole nutmeg
soft brown sugar or honey to taste
Couple of shots of cointreau or other orange based liquor
Cinammon sticks I use 3 but again to taste

Stud the orange with the cloves,steep the orange,nutmeg and the cinammon sticks for at least a couple of hours in the wine,remove the nutmeg. Pour a little of the wine into a pan,melt in the honey or sugar then add the remaining wine,once the wine is hot add the liquor.Don't let the mixture boil.Use your favourite/best red you can it makes a huge difference.Slice the orange and make sure a slice goes in each glass.
Monday 6 November 2006 9.37am
many thanks all i will enjoy trying your suggestions out!!
Tuesday 14 November 2006 10.31am
nobody use allspice? I think its the most christmassy of all of them. I use cloves, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, allspice and apples and oranges. The fruit is really important. It gives a lovely fresh lively taste.
Saturday 18 November 2006 12.57pm
Hi im new to this forum, just wondered if any of you lot know how long mulled wine will keep for if its bottled up? just im planning on leaving a batch in england for friends and family? if you know please let me know!! xTaffyx

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: