Vegetarian Xmas dinner

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 November 2006 2.00pm
Does anyone know of anywhere, not necessarily in SE1 that is open on christams day and serves a good vegetarian option? I found one that does a parsnip tart but I want something protieny like nut roast. Soya based sausages will do. I do want it to be with roast potatoes, sprouts etc. Any ideas?
Tuesday 14 November 2006 2.05pm
nearly unrelated....

mmmmmm sprouts!
Tuesday 14 November 2006 8.25pm
Why not cook your own? This has gone down well with vegetarian friends:
Mushroom Wellington
Makes 2
This dish is time-consuming, but you can prepare it up to the baking stage and freeze it weeks in advance. Before serving, remove The Wellington from the freezer and, after thawing, glaze the pastry with beaten egg and put it in a hot oven to bake for 45 minutes at 220C/425F/gas mark 7 until puffed and golden.
600g puff pastry
50ml olive oil
675g chopped shallots
225g finely chopped chestnut /oyster/shiitake/mushroom mix
1 knob of butter
225g sliced chestnut /oyster/shiitake/mushroom mix
A few pieces dried ceps
2 tbsp fresh tarragon
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tbsp soya sauce or replace with marsala or sherry or port
320g broken unsalted cashew pieces
320g ground almonds
175g fine freshly made breadcrumbs, white or wholemeal
1 egg, beaten for glazing
salt and pepper to taste
1. Roll out the pastry into two rectangles, 23x30.5cm each, cover and place in the fridge.
2. To make the filling, heat the oil in a large pan and fry the shallots with half the crushed garlic for at least 20 minutes or until it turns a deep golden colour. Remove onions from the pan and set aside, then add the chopped mushrooms to the same pan with the rest of the garlic and half the tarragon and cook on a fairly high heat.
3. Halfway through cooking, add the soya sauce and the alcohol if you are using it. Continue until the mushrooms are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside, reserving all the intensely flavoured liquid given out by the mushrooms.
4. Soak the ceps in a little hot mushroom liquor for twenty minutes.
5. Slice the rest of the mushrooms. Fry in hot butter until soft, add the ceps and the rest of the tarragon.
6. In a food processor, blend the cashews with the reserved mushroom liquor to a fine, smooth purée, adding a little water or even more of whichever alcohol you are using, until you have a smooth, sweet paste.
7. Remove mixture from the blender and blend first the shallots, then the chopped mushrooms - you can mix them up if you wish - until they are perfectly smooth.
8. Mix all the blended ingredients together in a bowl, adding the breadcrumbs, ground almonds. The mixture should gently hold its shape when formed with the hands.
9. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Remove the pastry from the fridge.
10. Divide the mixture in two and place one lot on a sheet of pastry, shapingwith your hands as you go to make a long rectangular shape about 28cm long, 7cm wide and about 5cm high.
11. Put a thick layer of the sliced mushrooms on top.
12. With the thin point of a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts at a 45-degree angle, starting from the left hand corner of the pastry towards the pate mixture. Repeat on the other side, this time starting at the top right hand corner and cutting down towards the centre. The strips should now be about 2cm apart.
13. Fold in the end pieces first. Then draw a strip over from the left, then one from the right, crossing them over (you can tug lightly at the strips if you need to) so the mix is snugly wrapped up. Repeat for the second wellington.
14. Either freeze at this stage or glaze generously with beaten egg. Place upon a floured tray. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes until golden.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 14 November 2006 9.56pm
I want that, please
Wednesday 15 November 2006 10.04am
Thankyou very much for that. I'll be making it at some point, sounds really special, especially if I put the port in it.
The thing is, I've cooked almost every year for the past 16 years and I want to be waited on. Plus there are too many of us getting together for my tiny one-bed flat.
If people could just suggest pubs that are open xmas day I could ring round about food. There's got to be some pub or restaurant surely?!
Wednesday 15 November 2006 10.09am
The Grange is usually open on xmas day but i don't know what it is like for veggie food or other-i normally have the full xmas dinner with out the meat it is usually enough!!
Anonymous User
Wednesday 15 November 2006 11.05am
beetroot, you might be better off looking at hotels rather than pubs.

just a thought.
Wednesday 15 November 2006 12.23pm
http://www.citypublife.co.uk/christmas

sorry don't know how to link so i hope this works!this lists some pubs open on xmas day some doing food and some not

Hotels would be best but that would rather depend on your budget i know some of my family (not in London) are going to an hotel for the day and are paying £100 per head

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: