HELP!Fish and Chip query

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 25 November 2006 12.36pm
Does anyone know what the name is for the BATTER RESIDUE from fish and chips which was apparently something that very poor people could buy if they couldnt afford the fish and chips ....
Saturday 25 November 2006 1.29pm
Scraps or scrobblings where I come from, but Wikipedia has a few other variations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
Saturday 25 November 2006 2.23pm
Oh DARLING Siduhe, I knew you or Lang Rabbie would know, what a help it is to have clever people on our forum. THANKS
Saturday 25 November 2006 8.22pm
"bits" when I was a kid growing up in 1970s Nottinghamshire, IIRC. But as my local chipshop proprietors were distinctly right wing, bits were only available to regular customers buying something else, not a cheap option for the poor.
Saturday 25 November 2006 8.23pm
Can we ask why you need to know ?!?
Saturday 25 November 2006 10.31pm
A right wing chippie, the mind boggles.
Sunday 26 November 2006 10.16am
THe reason I need to know is that some people were having lunch with a friend of mine in Tel Aviv and they were talking about FIsh and Chips, and these scraps or scrobblings or bits or whatever were mentioned by someone who'd grown up in SHeffield but he couldnt remember what they were called, so this friend said "Oh Jackie's bound to know" (alas, not true) and he emailed ME...so I fell upon the mercy of the clever Forum people...and hey presto!
Monday 27 November 2006 8.11am
In our fish shop Jackie we would ask for ' three pennorth of crackling' then soak the lot in vinegar...precursor of salt and vinegar chips thinking about it!
Monday 27 November 2006 8.21am
Oh my, the cholesterol, the calories,....catastrophic. Probably ideal in the days before central heating...
Monday 27 November 2006 9.48am
Jackie, I mant to say ' salt and vinegar crisps'! the cholesterol bit? Fish and chips, pie and mash were the only ' fast food' places available, so our intake of fats i suppose were limited as prepacked food was not even heard of!

on the very rare occasions we had a joint of meat we would scrape the jelly off the dripping onto our toast, then the dripping would be boiled with water, then the water thrown away and mum would make a pie with the 'clean' fat, apple or meat pie the pastry was always dripping!

p.s. my cholesteral amazingly is 5....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: