Things to do in LA

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 13 December 2006 12.34am
I am off on a round the world trip on Boxing Day, and out first stop is 2 days in LA. Does anyone have any recommendations of must see places?
Wednesday 13 December 2006 8.42am
I did something similar a while back, and to be honest I didn't enjoy LA much at all (although I was pretty jetlagged which didn't help !).

Take a walk on the beach, eat some really good Chinese or Mexican food (El Cholo used to be good) and, if you have time, maybe go to the Griffith Observatory ?
Wednesday 13 December 2006 9.19am
Well, go to Sunset Strip and see Hollywood, and go to a concert in the Disney Hall, it's apparently fabulous.
Wednesday 13 December 2006 8.01pm
I went about 10 years ago so things may have changed but -

Loved Santa Monica beach stayed a street away full of all weird and wonderful people including a couple in bondage gear with their kids on dog leads, they have a really nice street market too

Went to the Getty museum which was fantastic but it's now the getty Villa and the museum has relocated. http://www.getty.edu/visit/

There are all the normal mini bus tours around the stars homes but the one I wanted to go on but was fully booked was a 1950 hearse converted so you can ride in the back and it takes you round all the places stars died / scandals etc

have fun
Thursday 14 December 2006 2.14am
Thanks for the tips.

xx
Thursday 14 December 2006 8.42am
I second Santa Monica and it's beach. However, don't forget the ever tacky Ventura beach. If you like movies, do a tour of the studio's as well.
Friday 15 December 2006 12.39pm
My favourite things in LA:

-the Getty Center (not the Villa) - this is free and has an amazing collection along with good views of the city and a nice restaurant;
-the Grove/Hollywood & Highland - these two shopping complexes in West Hollywood are great fun...head to the farmer's market at the Grove for lunch;
-if you like steak, go to Morton's in Beverly Hills (expensive, but amazing);
-the Griffth Park Observatory has just been refurbished and I think they have a nice laser/light show at night which used to be good. Again, great views of the City.
-the Beverly Center to catch a film ahead of it's release in the UK and for the big chain stores (don't forget to get a Macy's card which gives foreigners a discount);
-my favorite beach towns are Newport Beach and Laguna Beach, but these are upwards of an hour and thirty minutes drive away. If you don't want to go this far, take a look around Santa Monica pier and Third Street Promenade.

As a general comment, it is very difficult to get around LA without a car. Cab drivers are ok, but you cannot hail them from the street and public transport is almost non-existent.

Hope that helps.

Chris

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: