Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 29 December 2006 8.27pm
We were bought a fondue set for Christmas. Has anyone got any good beginners tips and some easy recipes to get started? Any advice will be appreciated, as we are complete novices and have never done it before.
Saturday 30 December 2006 2.45pm
Traditional Swiss Cheese Fondue

1 Clove oof garlic
1/2 pint white wine. (I use Hock)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
275g Emmental
275g Gruyere (I actually prefer more Gruyere and less Emmental. Just make sure it come to 550g)
1 tablespoon cornflour
3 tablespoons kirsch (if you can't get any use more wine. There's an offy on Old Compton Street in Soho that sells cooking kirsch which is about half the price of the other. Its at the Wardour St end)
white pepper

You're supposed to rub the pan with the garlic but not put it in. I put it in. Grate or cube the cheese. Heat the wine and lemon juice on the hob and gradually add the cheese stirring in a figure of 8 motion. When all the cheese is melted blend the cornflour with the kirsch and add to fondue. Add the spices and give it another minute or two.
You'll need methylated spirit for the flame under the pan. There's a pound shop on Walworth Rd that's always got it.
I use a mixture of breads, french stick's good, and something seedy and brown. You can also leave broccoli and mushrooms in the fondue to cook, though it takes a while.
A simple salad with quite a vinigary dressing and tomatoes works well with it. Balsamic vinigar is particularly good.
If you have some left over, its lovely cold in a sandwhich with rocket or use it for cheese on toast. You can't reheat the same batch many times though ot the fat separates adn it all goes wierd.
Saturday 30 December 2006 6.07pm
Be careful what you use to dip- one of my friends had a fondue party some years back and did a chocolate fondue for pudding with brioche to dip into it- however, brioche is just not substantial enough and we ended up having to fish it out with spoons!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: