Work Placement

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Jac
Tuesday 2 January 2007 3.41pm
During secondary school most kids do a 2 week work placement and I need to try find a suitable placement in July for 15 year old boy who has no idea what he wants to do when he leaves school (who does at that age?) so its very hard to know where to start looking. He is friendly, articulate and interested in sport and art. Does anyone know of any companies in the central London area that are willing to give school children this valuable experience of the work place whom we could contact.
Tuesday 2 January 2007 5.37pm
The City of London Corporation take work experience kids on. Ask his school to contact them.
Tuesday 2 January 2007 6.04pm
Jac,

Many schools have established links with Employers. Wandsworth, when I worked for them, organised placements for all their kids. So you may find that the more organised schools/boroughs have got things sewn up.

In practice if you are doing it on your own you probably need to be really organised (letters to personnel departments etc) or use contacts.

It is also worth thinking about what you want to achieve. I mentored a kid at one stage. She was really bright but had two parents who had never worked. Her teacher told me my job was to make sure she went to University so I was keen to show her what work graduates could do. I leaned on a friend in Publishing and she got to work in their publicity office for two eweeks and absolutely loved it.

I sort of like the idea of my son, who is reasonably acedemic, doing something quite different like working for a builder. Or your son might like to discover just how boring junior office work can be. Good IT skills can open doors.

Sarah

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: