Descaling my iron

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 14 January 2007 2.06pm
I've just descaled my iron and it's now giving out a golden brown goo. Is this the result of limescale reacting with the descaler? How do I get rid of it? Just carry on flushing water through I guess?
Monday 15 January 2007 6.00am
'fraid so! It's a bit of a gamble descaling irons...they arent always receptive to descaler products. You might have to descale again and then flush it out some more.
Monday 15 January 2007 8.08am
I decided to de-scale my electric kettle, filled it with water and vinegar, let it boil put too much water and vinegar in,the flipping thing boiled over and mucked it up!

I tried it again and only covered the element plus an inch and it did work. I was worried about using a commercial product in something you drink from..would it work for an iron I wonder?
Monday 15 January 2007 6.42pm
I bought a new 'superglide' Tefal iron a few months ago and decided
not to use any of the water/steam features as the limescale in this area is diabolical.
Instead I bought one of those plant spray plastic bottles and use that instead.
No limescale or risk of spraying a stain on shirts and much easier to direct the spray exactly where you want it.
And no scaling of the holes in the iron. If you haven't got a superglide, you don't know what you're missing.
So smooth to use.
Tuesday 16 January 2007 8.29pm
Phoney, what a good idea. How much do these irons cost and where can I buy one? Yes, I'm a batchelor.
Wednesday 17 January 2007 9.06pm
Argos in walworth road. Mine was only 25. And I got the plant spray
bottle in the DIY on the ground floor of the elephant and Woolies also
sell them.
The Superglide base is really amazing. I can't believe how smooth it moves
and you can iron a dozen shirts in 20 minutes.
Thursday 18 January 2007 6.44pm
Phoney, thanks for more good news. Ironing shirts is the bane of my life. The best I can do is about one every three or four minutes. Argos here I come...
Friday 19 January 2007 3.42pm
I manage about 3 or 4 an hour, which is why i hardly ever do any ironing.
Saturday 20 January 2007 11.38am
I sent mine away to the laundry - bliss
Sunday 28 January 2007 10.53am
Phoney;
Sorry to bother you, but I'd like your help. I went to Argos yesterday and got thoroughly confused. I didn't know there were so many irons in the world. Could you be more specific about the one you bought?
Harry
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: