lemon grass

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 9 February 2007 1.20pm
is there any way of growing a stalk or two? if i kept it in water and a root grew?
Friday 9 February 2007 1.56pm
Don't you just stick them in the ground and they'll grow?

I might have this completely wrong, but I think that's what my mum used to do
Friday 9 February 2007 2.17pm
According to this, you're both right

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 9 February 2007 2.26pm
Fresh Lemon Grass from the shop tastes good but when you take it straight from the garden the flavour is far more intense and lemony. I decided to have a go at growing it myself after reading a question in a gardening magazine on growing it from seed.

[from another gardening site....]

"Bob Flowerdew advised the reader not to bother with seed but to buy a few stems and root them in water instead. In warm weather it takes two to three weeks for the roots to emerge, and another couple for the roots to form into a coiled ball, at which point they can be planted up. New stems shoot out from the base of the parent plant and, if they are kept in a warm and sunny spot, and fed regularly, the pot will soon be filled. Stems can easily be twisted off at the base without damaging the plant. If you like Lemon Grass it's well worth growing your own rather than relying on the supermarkets to stock it."

Jan, I think I'll have to have a go myself. Let us know how you get on, and I'll do the same.

Friday 9 February 2007 2.37pm
I'll take them out the fridge the minute i get home...thank you:-)
Thursday 19 April 2007 5.19pm
Did you get anywhere with this Jan?

Thursday 19 April 2007 6.43pm
Yes...I discovered a weird culture of slime at the bottom of the glass, but it was my own fault as I had been away for a week. But in fact a few roots were showing, so i think it would have worked..but it stank so threw it away..put to shame now you have remembered it so will try again Ivanhoe..:-)
Friday 20 April 2007 12.14am
Mum grows a lot of lemon grass for the curries. I think Tattie is right. Mum would just stick it into the ground and water it. Lemon grass grows very rapidly and we never have to look after it. In fact it needed a lot of trimming as I used to get cut doing so. Home is a hot tropical country with monsoon rain and summer being the only season. When I was young, my mum got the children to grow the fruit of their choice. My water melon took a long time to grow but when the time came to harvest it, it disappeared. A fight amongst the siblings took place accusing each other of eating up the water melon while some were at schools. Just when we were all arguing, my mum found our dog, Sparky busy 'kicking' the water melon at our front garden.
Friday 20 April 2007 8.32am
Kaptau, thats a lovely story about your dog sparky, we used to have a norwich terrier cross, it used to look like a coconut mat on legs!

I used to love growing runner beans. I would wait patiently for the beans to mature, then would find that the lower beans would be full of holes, it took a careful watch to realise that my little dog was jumping up to snatch some beans. That was after i had spent a fortune on slug repellant!

With all this heat we are getting, I will clear a patch near the back door and stick a piece in , I may rival Tescos yet!
Saturday 21 April 2007 12.52am
There was a guy and his dog at Primrose Hill with hair like mops. They were a unique pair.

Mum used to take the children to visit grandfather who owned a lot of land mainly for rubber and palm oil plantation. I would play with the local kids in the nearby rain forest and collect wild ginger, lemon grass and other herbs for their parents to cook dinner. I would fill my dungarees with plenty of guava fruits for my brothers and sisters only to be stung terribly by the red ants from the fruits. Mum would apply plenty of Tiger balm and my brother would complain all night. He never like the smell. There were so many trees to climb, so many fruits to pick and too many red ants! They taste like chilies, pretty hot if you are not careful. Grandma would steam lemon grass and some unknown herbs on a bamboo basket in the bedroom to get rid of mosquitoes and help the grandchildren to sleep. I can still remember the smell. The edge of the garden was so overgrown with lemon grass (the house was surrounded by the forest at the back and plantation on both sides and front) and whenever the gardeners trimmed them, the entire house would smell like a house of perfumery under the hot sun.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: