what do you think about people from the north england ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 18 February 2007 2.27pm
hi, I need to know what do people from the South England think about people from the North.
Please tell me where you are from and your comments on North England people about stereotypes, behaviour, attitude, money, health ...

I need some information for a project work
thanks
Sunday 18 February 2007 11.54pm
I'm from Cheshire and have lived in London for 17 years.
One of the most obvious differences is northerners are kind of warmer. I don't mean how friends are with each other or family, more strangers. Its very genuine, unlike when you visit USA.
However, this is most pronounced in London and I'm not sure you can judge southerners by London. I mean I don't chat (usually)with people on a London bus because I don't want to frighten people but that would be quite acceptable in Manchester.
The only thing that ever saddens me is the completely wrong image of the north that a lot of southerners have. They imagine its grey and miserable. The most dramatic countyside is up there, and its sunny, a lot!
The only other difference I can think of right now is that some middle-cassed southerners talk of certain traits as 'so English' referring to traits of the middle classed from the south. Given what we call the north is actually most of the country this one can be quite annoynig. Its the exported images of Britain where you're either posh, cockney or scottish.
Monday 19 February 2007 11.03am
beetroot wrote:
They imagine its grey and miserable. The most dramatic countyside is up there, and its sunny, a lot!

I'm also a Northerner (mixed parentage of Yorkshire & Lancashire) and grew up very much in the ever changing borderland of the two Rose counties. I've been in London just over 10 years now and prior to that on the south coast for quite a while.

I agree with Beetroot - it's not particularly grey (except when it's misty) and in fact it's exceptionally green up there, despite being on the edge of the industrial weaving heartland and the edge of the coal mining industry.
I'm not sure I'm can vouch for the sunniness though, I grew up on the west side of the pennines, just about the right altitude for the clouds to release their earth-greening rain!
Monday 19 February 2007 3.50pm
hi i think the people from the north england are often distinguishable by their ability to use punctuation and grammar

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 19 February 2007 8.23pm
and their whippets?
Monday 19 February 2007 8.30pm
They talk funny.
Tuesday 20 February 2007 3.32pm
Tolstoy wrote:
They talk funny.

Who? northerners? or Londoners?

being from the West Midlands myself - i find it hard to understand anyone born outside of the M5,M6,M42 ring
Wednesday 21 February 2007 10.27pm
Where do we think 'the North' actually starts?
Thursday 22 February 2007 12.42am
At Tower Bridge.
Thursday 22 February 2007 11.24am
Well cheshire used to have regional telly news called 'look north-west'. It was always refered to as being in the north. I'd have thought Staffordshire people would think of themselves as northern but maybe not.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: