Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 23 February 2007 2.19pm
I'm sure many of you have heard of the Hawksmoor churches. He was a pupil of Christopher Wren, and a Freemason. His architecture uses a lot of mystical symbolism and some people associate him with the occult. His London churches, including 2 obelisks added to other architects churches form a pentagram. Some people say this is not just an aesthetic decision and in fact forms an area (the pentagon formed in the centre) where evil will take place. Jack the rippers murders all took place in this area.
I'm agnostic and open-minded. By which I mean I do not believe in ghosts, afterlife, supernatural, nor do I believe they do not exist.
About a year ago I went to one of the churches, st. Annes, Limehouse, where there is a pyramid with the 'all seeing eye' on it. Suddenly, I heard a deep sigh and a moan, quite close by, but with no-one there. I was in the open, in the graveyard. I shrugged it off. Yesterday, someone I know that was once going to be working on a documentary about Hawksmoor and his churches mentioned how the novelist Peter Ackroyd said he heard a sigh and a moan in st Annes graveyard. Its really spooked me.
I've just been reading about it all and I've spooked myself again. Very near me was st John's of Horsleydown, near Tower Bridge, as most of you will know. It was bombed in the war so only the foundations are there, with the ugly modern city mission building on top. I read that the weather vain of the old church, a comet, is on display in the new building, so I went to look. The building was closed but the weather vain was plain to see through the window. I've never in my life had such an overwhealming, irrational fear, and I had to get away. No idea why, though I have always been aware of feeling slightly spooked in the church grounds anyway. I just thought 'graveyard-spooky. So what?'. Though this has niggled since I used to be a bell-ringer and was always perfectly comfortable in churchyards.
Any fear I've had near the Hawksmoor churches I always put down to the fact that they were designed to be imposing. I've just found out that whilst st. Johns near me was not built by Hawksmoor, an obelisk was added by him. The church is in the pentagram and he designed the weather vein.
Friday 23 February 2007 3.19pm
you are never going to believe it beetroot, but when i go past there i feel it is haunted...especially looking at the pyramid..i keep saying that i will go in there one day..in fact i feel i must now you have said that!
Friday 23 February 2007 3.28pm
I'm going to the bank one, st. Mary Woolnoth later.
If you hear the moan in st. Annes you're going to wet yourself. At least when I heard it I didn't know Ackroyd had!
Friday 23 February 2007 4.48pm
I am going to go to St Annes now, just to see!
This kind of thing fascinates me, but then I am shallow and easily led!
About a year ago my husband and I went to my home town in Lancashire for an old friend's 30th. We went to Salmesbury Hall in between Blackburn and Preston; a favourite stately home (well, Elizabethan manor house) of mine since I was a child.
It has a reputation for being haunted, and when I looked at the photos I had taken, one of them was covered with orbs, which some people say are signs of supernatural activity, and others say are tricks of the light. IT was very spooky. Then my parents moved into an old converted barn in the summer and we went to help them move in. We took some pictures in their bedroom, and one of them came back with some orbs on too.
My parents have since heard stories about the house, and the lane that it lies on, and they've heard some strange noises too.
Friday 23 February 2007 7.36pm
'orbs' of light on photo's are almost always due to light effects, through the lens, or reflecting off objects, sometimes old film does the same thing. not that i'm saying that ghosts don't exist - i've been spooked more than once.
Friday 23 February 2007 7.41pm
I've realized why they're out to get me. I once emailed the city mission to say I'd seen heavy boards leaning against the weather vain and pointed out its historical interest. I even pointed out that it might be of interest to the Cuming Museum. They think I'm trying to remove it from its essential postion in the pentagram! The only questions now are when and how will they take my soul.
Saturday 24 February 2007 10.06am
Re St John Horselydown
See also:

(psychogeography and Alan Moore)

(pictures of the old church)
Saturday 24 February 2007 1.03pm
I told my husband about this- he also doesn't believe in that kind of thing, but he used to live near there and had to skateboard past to get to the shop. He said he always felt really scared and got through there as quickly as he could. It would be interesting to hear if anyone working there has experienced anything.
Saturday 24 February 2007 5.21pm
I've noticed that everywhere I've lived in London has been near one of the churches, except Stoke-Newington/Stamford Hill. When I lived there I did some voluntary work in a Montessori school which was in a church crypt. Other than that I couldn't remember where it was. Well I've just got back from St. Georges in the East, one of the pentagram chuches. In the crypt is the Montessori school. Spooked again! (No sounds though).
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: