comets

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 7 March 2007 2.36pm
browsing through my next favourite site, old bailey online, in 1823 there was a comet passing over that must have stayed for some time..i thought it was haleys comet perhaps, but looking on net found that the last haleys comet was in 1986..I thought it was a lot later than that? or was there another comet in the ninties?
Wednesday 7 March 2007 3.06pm
wonderful wj, i was trying to figure what comet passed over for a length of time 1823! back to my unofficial research whilst working! :-)
Wednesday 7 March 2007 4.09pm
Jan, surely you're not old enough to remember 1823!

{TFIC - only joking}

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 7 March 2007 6.39pm
Could be the "Great Comet" of December 1823. This is recorded as being non periodic i.e. seen only once. It may be that this comet may not reappear for hundreds, or even thousands of years.
Thursday 8 March 2007 8.03am
I've led you all up the garden path..:-( the trial was in 1823 but the actual comet incident was at 196 White Cross street in 1811. If anyone wants to read it put in John Gotte under name search.
I particularly loved the bit where the landlady ' accidently' slips with her pail of dirty water against Johns door which of course opens and find that lo and behold there is no ' fine furniture' that he said he had..
nice to find somethings never change, insurance frauds, arson, not being paid out by the insurance companies!

When I get time I am going to write a book and use the wonderful characters that exist on this site! After that you must put in meteor under search and read about some high faluting scientific gentlemans about life on the sun!
Thursday 8 March 2007 1.19pm
Well in which case, it was the great comet of 1811, apparently mentioned in War and Peace: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Comet_of_1811
Friday 9 March 2007 12.19pm
This is a smashing informative site, I have assimilated more information here than I ever did at school many many moons ago!

Thank you Tharg...and incidentally Ivanhoe 1823 means something special to me - as my waist measurements...when I was two it was 18" then three 23" now combined its 41"+! and thats in my sixties! :-)
Wednesday 21 March 2007 12.42pm
Excellent picture of Hale-Bopp over Stonehenge in 1997

http://www.astrocruise.com/hb_stonehenge.htm

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: