retirement age

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 12 March 2007 8.32am
a friend of mine works for the post office, he is 65 on the first of april.. will he have to leave because initially his contract stated that his employment would cease on that date? would he be able to stay on under the new age discrimination laws or under the new laws that say you can work longer?

thanks to any one who can advise him..:-) also a colleague of mine is 60 in july and her contract was also for 60 end of employment. Will she have to leave as well? would she be allowed to stay on as an employee? she is good at her job it's a shame if she had to leave.

I dont have this problem at my age as I am only a humble temp.!
Monday 12 March 2007 1.21pm
Hi Jan

The statutory age of retirement is now 65, and a company cannot legitimately have a retirement age below that unless there are specific circumstances where being older would seriously affect someone's ability to do their job. So your friend whose contractual retirement age is 60 cannot be retired at 60 - that would be breaking the law.

Although the statutory retirement age is 65, there are still statutory retirement procedures that have to be followed in order to dismiss someone on grounds of retirement. This involves sending the employee a letter at least 6 months in advance of the proposed retirement date, informing them of your intention to retire them, to which they can respond with a request to continue working. A company can no longer just wait until the 65th birthday and end employment there and then. If they tried to, then it would very probably be unfair dismissal.

I hope this makes sense - it is a bit of a brief explanation of the new regulations.
Monday 12 March 2007 9.37pm
i would suggest that your friend contacts Age Concern - they know a lot about retirement age stuff.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: