London is the World Capital

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 20 March 2007 8.50pm
London is the world capital of the 21st century... says New York
Tuesday 20 March 2007 9.55pm
The original article was rather less glowing. I quote for instance this:

"Though there was much crowing when London discovered it had won the right to host the Olympics in 2012, Londoners may end up ruing that decision: though regeneration promises to bring much-needed mass-transit links and affordable housing to the East End site of the Games, such promises have gone unfulfilled in past Olympics, and the project now threatens to practically bankrupt the city. Losing the Games to London may be one of the best things to have happened to New York in recent years."
Tuesday 20 March 2007 10.43pm
Ouch - must be payback for the McKinsey report issued earlier this year on behalf of the mayor of new york which basically stated that the financial capital of the world was moving to (you guessed it) London and that New York was getting seriously behind on the curve....
Tuesday 20 March 2007 10.47pm
What it really demonstrates is how selective journalists are - in this case, the Standard's reporter - in how they present so-called stories.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 1.32pm
But it appears to have got Simon Hughes excited. Last night he was saying that London is the best city in the world and London SE1 is the best part of it.

(Interesting how the phrase London SE1 has gained common currency, with SE1 as an area. I would argue that at least some of the credit is due to the Hatts family.)
Wednesday 21 March 2007 4.23pm
And US as well! I mean, what would SE1 be without us?
Thursday 22 March 2007 6.11pm
Your right that SE1 has morphed into a revered brand nowadays. James's posted an article about SE1 water in Selfridges (which is actually SEI water), which was selling like hotcakes...I admit I had to get just one small bottle so I can ask my friends whether they had a water named after their part of London!

I certainly feel very privileged to live here and am excited about how the area is developing...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: