What are we growing in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Thursday 22 March 2007 12.19pm
Sarah told me (so i had to do it) to put up a thread about what we're all growing this year.

On Ivanhoe Acres, we've currently got:

- purple sprouting, harvesting now
- savoy cabbages, still got a way to grow
- asparagus, first shoot came up last week
- rhubarb (been growing all winter, but had a little flush in the last fortnight
- strawberries(runners have just gone in, hopefully will not be bothered by the frost as we're keeping the mini-greenhouse closed up)
- dwarf beans (started off indoors and being kept there at the moment, but they've already started to flower which I think is a bit early really)
- potatoes (seed pot's are curerntly being chitted - should be planted out this weekend)
- tomato plants (sowed seed a few weeks back. Small plants coming along now. Will sow some more next week for an extended harvesting season)
- herbs

and I've been having an embarrasing lack of success with lettuces/salad leaves, so any tips would be welcomed.

Hope that's what you were looking for, Sarah. Main planting will be over the next 4-6 weeks, so that's when we should be getting the carrots, spring onions, etc.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 22 March 2007 12.24pm
Dog mercury...whitemans foot...chinese lanterns...columbine..periwinkle..loads of lemon balm all over the place...non planted by me!

chitting a few spuds...anya variety...got some new tom seeds..
Thursday 22 March 2007 12.32pm
how many acres do you have I?

you can't possibly have all that on your balcony?! it's only about 8ft by 2ft!
(and the cider shed takes up most of that!)
Thursday 22 March 2007 6.48pm

You've seen Ivanhoe Acres, and it's not changed since then. We've just moved to a denser planting plan, and Mrs I got one of those mini greenhouse things made out of plastic and coathangers (and we have the Hanging Basket of Rhubarbylon, which saves a lot of space).

The solidly-constructed craftsman-built cider shed is still standing proud, you'll be glad to know. We also have an Xmas tree and a Japanese maple. It's surprising what you can do with only a little one....

Thursday 22 March 2007 7.34pm
Swiss Chard. Salsify. Beetroot. Lettuces and salad leaves various (Rocket, Marveille de Quatre Saisons, another couple the names of which escape me). Blueberries. Rhubarb. Globe artichokes.
Thursday 22 March 2007 8.21pm
The Return of The Map...

[HOORAY! WELCOME BACK. And have you any idea why I never do well with lettuces? They seem to sprout all leggy and then never develop. Definitely never into headed lettuces. If I'm lucky I get a few leaves in a cut-and-come-again sort of way. I know they shouldn't be difficult, but it's the thing I have most difficutly with and I don't know why. All ideas gratefully etc]

Thursday 22 March 2007 9.04pm
>>And have you any idea why I never do well with lettuces?

You might find you do better with girls than lettuces. The latter are inclined to be somewhat green.

Bolting is a sign of insufficient attention being paid at a crucial moment; they like to be plied with drink. Furthermore, you should not sow your seed when the weather is too hot.
Friday 23 March 2007 10.14am
Ah, thanks. I think it's likely I've been making all those mistakes. Take on board your point on girls v lettuces, but I think I'll persevere with lettuces all the same.

Saturday 24 March 2007 6.54pm
Sounds as though they're bolting - running to seed - instead of growing a big heart. This is a sign of their being under stress. More to drink, and more food would be my recommendation. Try digging more compost into your soil. If you double dig a load of well-rotted manure into the ground then it will assist with water retention.
Monday 26 March 2007 8.25pm
wow! I am just about to move to shad thames, and i have quite a large balcony. I was really looking forward to growing something, but i had no idea there could be such a variety! Back in russia we used to grow everything and have chickens and goats, its brilliant. Does the english weather really permit all these things on a balcony?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: