Pronunciation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 26 March 2007 8.49pm
Anyone know how you pronounce the name 'Jago'?
Is it 'jay-go' or 'Yargo'?
Or something else?
Monday 26 March 2007 9.54pm
I think it depends if he's a Cornish Jago (short for Jacob) or a Spanish Jago (Spanish variant of James).

I was taught at school that in the original folios of Othello, one of the lead characters was spelt as Jago, and it is apparently correct to pronounce as we have come to know him, Iago ("ee-AH-go").

They use "ee-AH-go" in the US and Cuba too, so that is what I would probably go with - unless he's a Cornish Jago...in which case it's apparently "JAY-goh" from a quick Google.
Tuesday 27 March 2007 6.53am
Cornish Jago- we are looking at baby names at the moment and Mr Sarahmc's family live in Cornwall....
Thanks
Tuesday 27 March 2007 7.13am
Gosh Sarah, you are certainly looking ahead...are you already sure it's a boy? Jago is a lovely name and at least there wont be fifty others in the Nursery school. Iago would be a difficult one to carry...
Tuesday 27 March 2007 8.02am
I have at various times known four people who have this name, and all four have pronounced it "JAY-go".
Tuesday 27 March 2007 8.09am
oops, I must get out more. Apparently there are more Jagos out there than I knew about....
Tuesday 27 March 2007 8.18am
Not at all! It's definitely a name that still has a touch of originality. But there do seem to be quite a few Jagos around the 30-35 mark.
Tuesday 27 March 2007 9.31am
A Spanish version of James sounds appropriate.
Thursday 29 March 2007 7.57am
We don't know the sex yet, but come on Jackie! Who hasn't found out they're pregnant and then started talking about names?! That's part of the fun!
Thursday 29 March 2007 8.01am
So..what are the girls' names you're looking at?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: