MRSA insurance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 3 April 2007 1.19pm
I am worried about going into hospital for orthopaedic surgery in the future..is it possible to obtain insurance against me contacting this?

( my husband ended his days in tommies with h.a.i as part of the cause of death)

or would the policy be an astronomical amount!
Tuesday 3 April 2007 3.29pm
Jan

You are right to be worried. My father contracted MRSA during an operation to repair a broken hip at St. Thomas. Seriously long story which I won't bore you with but, after 18 months in and out of hospital, he died with MRSA cited as cause of death. I doubt you can insure against contracting it as, apparently, a large percentage of the healthy population carry it so its presence cannot be eliminated. It only becomes a problem for those who are not healthy - particularly the very young or very old - or, in my father's case, if it gets into an open wound. What you can do is insist to be tested for MRSA on admission. If you test negative and then contract the disease you know where you got it and you may be able to sue. Honestly though, no amount of money would compensate for the pain and suffering my father went through during those 18 months. You'd be better paying for private medical insurance and having your orthopaedic surgery done that way.
Tuesday 3 April 2007 3.48pm
Jan

Having said that, private healthcare has its own set of minefields. I had my hip replaced privately for exactly the reasons outlined above and it was an absolute disaster! If you do go down that route, pm me and I'll tell you all the pitfalls (and downright cowboys) I encountered on my journey.

Maria
Wednesday 4 April 2007 12.06pm
Jan

I realised last night that I've been totally insensitive and probably added to your worries rather than allayed any fears you have. My father died four years ago (before MRSA became a hot topic) and I know that preventative measures have been put in place at Toms since then. My colleague's father had a triple heart bypass operation there last year and they were very conscious and dilligent over the threat of MRSA. He is now totally recovered. Also, my father was one of the unlucky ones and many more people undergo successful surgery at St. Thomas Hospital than don't. I'm so sorry - I hope I haven't frightened you too much. Maria
Wednesday 4 April 2007 1.26pm
Hi Maria,

Don initially went into Tommies in 2003, he contracted m.r.s.a while in there, after many combinations of antibiotics was free of it. Went back in again last year, words fail me over what happened to him. ( i covered it here before) cutting it short because i waffle on sometimes!he contacted it again and spent the last year of his life in pain and despair..as for adding to my worries my health is the most trivial of things that have been going on lately!
+
Plus, I am laid back to the point of apathy about myself...apart from my weight...bring on a gastric bypass surgeon who feels like doing a freebie on a porr ole widder woman..:-)
Wednesday 4 April 2007 1.46pm
Oh dear - you really sound down in the dumps. I'm sorry. Perhaps we should meet and swap stories over wine and cake. Bugger the weight eh? Chin up (I know that's much easier to say than do). Maria

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: